NAD D1050 DAC and headphone amplifier
Jul 14, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #106 of 123
  I think the headphone amp sounds really nice as long as you are using it within its limits. eg. low ohm headphones or not extremely hard to drive, I asked NAD and the specs they sent are pretty good, more powerful than a lot of headphone amps but not as much as some. With the headphones I have currently (both easy to drive and low impedance) it works well. But I am sure with more hungry headphones a dedicated amp would be better. I am happy with the sound of it and have tried approx 5 dacs so I have some references, but yes I am sure you can get better with some high end dedicated amp and dac combo, but then you are also looking at a lot more spendies and I am generally happy with it so do not feel the need to get something else, whereas with other dacs / amps I have used I have always had an urge to get something better, I like the fact it is a bit smooth and rolled off at the top because I do not like bright treble, harshness or sibilance, I also like darker sound with good lower mids and bass, so this is ideal (as with every other NAD product I have used), and combined with slightly bright / U shaped headphones like Th X00 and SRH 1540 it is a good balance.

Also what did you do to upgrade the PSU I am interested...

See from Post #82 and following above.

You may be right regarding matching the choice of headphones to the amp, I was using Senns HD650 and HD800.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #107 of 123
  I think that part of the reason for the inconsistent reviews is that there are so many variables in other parts of the chain.

I think that the DAC part of the D1050 is much better than the amp section. I output from the balanced XLR's into a separate headphone amp with very good results.

The top and bottom is that I disagree that this unit is not an audiophile quality DAC. It is (or with a little care) can be made to be so.

I do agree that it is not an audiophile quality headphone amp.

+1 to the bold sections above. It's a nice DAC and a decent head amp, but it depends on the cans you are using.

The DAC section doesn't do as well as my Rega DAC nor as well as my Bel Canto DAC 2.5, but then again, those DACs are considerably more expensive.

I compared it with my Schiit Modi 2 Uber and found it to be warmer/fuller-sounding, but not as detailed and with a more narrow soundstage using speakers.

With my AQ NightHawks, both the amp/DAC seem to pair pretty well, although the pairing is a little dark sounding and the amp section is noticeably inferior to my Lehmann.

I have recommended this unit to others that aren't really Head-Fi fanatics and want an all-in-one unit that won't break the bank.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #108 of 123
@bruch
Yes, I didn't have a chance to try it with seperate amp. So that could be it.

Upon returning 1050 ,I bought the Liquid Carbon instead and Voila the difference was even more obvious.

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #109 of 123
Originally Posted by Krutsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by Bruch 

I think that part of the reason for the inconsistent reviews is that there are so many variables in other parts of the chain.

I think that the DAC part of the D1050 is much better than the amp section. I output from the balanced XLR's into a separate headphone amp with very good results.

The top and bottom is that I disagree that this unit is not an audiophile quality DAC. It is (or with a little care) can be made to be so.

I do agree that it is not an audiophile quality headphone amp.

+1 to the bold sections above. It's a nice DAC and a decent head amp, but it depends on the cans you are using.

+1 to the bold sections above too. Have not been to this thread for a while but I'm using the NAD d1050 solely as a DAC to my Elise tube amp. I'm using Beyer T1 and HE-560 and in this combination, I find the sound to be very pleasing, with great details and non fatiguing. 

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #110 of 123
Would it be possible to know the balanced XLR output level of the NAD D 1050 in vrms?
This is a specification that I could not find anywhere so far, and it’s not even disclosed on the NAD website and D 1050 manual. Unless I’m really not looking properly...

Since I would be using the NAD D 1050 as a DAC only, I’d like to know the output level of the signal that will be fed into the XLR inputs of my amplifier.

Thank you!

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #112 of 123
Curious what everyone thinks about the D1050 now since they appear to be $200-300 in the secondhand market. I have my D3020, and thinking about getting a D1050 for PC use w/ HD580 & HD6xx.
Reading about Burson, Liquid Carbon, and others are making me second guess the D1050. So spill the beans, what do you say?

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #113 of 123
[QUOTE = "gregzDk, message: 11549508, membre: 424586"]
Si certains d'entre vous ont encore l'ancien firmware, pourrais-je l'obtenir? BTW a-t-on déjà essayé de le demander au NAD?
[/CITATION]
Bonsoir, j'ai envoyé un mail à NAD Canada. La réponse est négative. Ils sont bien en possession des firmwheres mais uniquement pour des tests en interne mon t-il répondu. J' ai essayé aussi de le demander par téléphone au représentant NAD Belgique. Il était très coopératif et semblait vouloir m'aider mais je n'ai malheureusement plus jamais eu de nouvelles. je vous souhaite d'avoir plus de succès de votre côté. Amicalement

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #114 of 123
[QUOTE = "dizzyorange, message: 10699262, membre: 33344"]
Si vous avez acheté une version récente du NAD 1050, vous vous devez de l'entendre avec le firmware d'origine (le firmware qui a probablement été installé dans les critiques élogieuses lors de sa première sortie).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675359/nad-d-range/30 (bas et page suivante)

Si quelqu'un veut une copie de l'ancien firmware, j'en ai une copie (utilisez-la à vos risques et périls bien sûr).

Fondamentalement, la différence est la nuit et le jour.
[/CITATION]Hello everyone, yes, I would be very happy to receive the old firmware it was really amazing. I no longer use this dac since I made the last update. This could be resurrected ...

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #115 of 123
I just bought a D1050. It's only 48 hours old, but I've been testing it out with Senn 6xx phones and linking to the KEF iQ3's via D3020.
Not bad for $180, can't say it's worth $500 but then again it's old tech and debuted six years ago. It's has a better separation than the D3020, not much but it's noticeable. Have no clue what firmware I'm on and it would be nice to know. It's a pleasant sound for sure! I wouldn't describe it as "dark" as some have said but more "lush" I've seen mentioned.

Thinking the same thing. I would like to get my hands on all the firmware variations. I tried downloading software from the NAD site, but it's doesn't seem to be available.

Side note: It looks like the Bottle Crack just went on sale. I might need that since phone my headphones are the HD580 & HD6xx. :beyersmile: D1050 linked to the Crack. Hmm...

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #120 of 123
I'm having a problem with my D1050 currently.

When i press the ON/OFF button it will turn on for 0.2 seconds and then directly turn back off. It'll change colours and the lights in front will switch on for a split second before everything turns off. If i try to press the ON/OFF button again nothing happens. If i let it sit for about 20 seconds and try again it'll turn on for 0.2 seconds before turning off same as before.

If I pull the plug and put it back in the same happens but I don't have to wait for 20 seconds between tries.

I suspect maybe water droplets could have gotten on the touch panel but nothing else on the device. The device was on and functioning normally and then just stopped working while in use, but I removed dust with a wet cloth a couple days before.

Anyone had similar problems and found a solution? Any way to override the ON/OFF button? Haven't been able to turn on the device for a week now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back