NAD CD541
Aug 8, 2001 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fbleagh

Head-Fier
Just wondering what experiences people have had with this player .

I have a old SONY cd player which is getting fixed atm but the NAD 541 just looks too damned tempting.

Firstly, what is the headphone jack on this unit like ?
I will be using my senn 580's.

How does this perform with HDCD's ? CDR's ?

I am hoping that the headphone out is pretty good that way i can put off buying the MG head for a month or so
smily_headphones1.gif

ooo btw i noticed people saying they bought their MG head from HEADROOM, but i can't see it on their catalog pages.

okies, thanks for the help guys.

Aug 8, 2001 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 8
Hmmm interesting,

Headroom price for MG head - $329
Divertech price for MG head - $279

ouch - thats almost $100AU difference once converted !

anyone had any experience with divertech ?

Aug 8, 2001 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 8
Well, they're based in Canada and are the the ditributors for ASL. I think they're probably quite trust. They respond to their emails pretty fast

Aug 8, 2001 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 8
I just got the MG Head and I love it. But now I need to buy a higher end cd player along with some nicer ICs. I would also be interested to hear what people have to say about this cd player.

Aug 8, 2001 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 8
You know I was looking at the new Headroom web pages, and they list the MG Head for $279. Of course those new pages aren't up yet obviously, but I wonder what the price really is? I also heard of someone buying one from Headroom quite a while back for $279 as well... so you might check into that. Sorry I don't know anything about the NAD 541, but I've heard it's a good player
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2001 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 8
fbleagh,

Tonight must be the night for me to talk about the NAD c541! Cool! This is the 3rd post I've replied to regarding this CDP. The 541 is the source in my home system (see my profile).

The only drawback to the 541 is that it does not have a headphone out. It's just as well, you get to pony-up for a MG Head (he-he-he). BTW, the digital out is only RCAs.

The 541 predecesors were not designed to read CD-Rs. The 541 does and does so flawlessly. I've made about 5 compilation CD-Rs and the 541 has read them without a problem.

The only HDCDs I own are the Blue Man Group and the City of Angels soundtracks.

IMHO, the 541 and the MG Head make a great combination. Great detail and bass for jazz and classical music. Tube rolling can give you the extra bass for trance, ambient, etc.

Check out NAD website for a review from the Gramophone:

http://nadelectronics.com/Reviews/C541-0701.html

Good luck!

Regards - reynman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back