Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread
Dec 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #197 of 351
The "preamp" function is somewhat of a confusing issue, as many folks consider "preamp" to mean that the DAC can be connected directly to an amp and can use its own (remote if possible) volume control. Well, this is true of ALL Mytek Stereo 192 models, not just the one they call "preamp" (to differentiate it from the "mastering" model). The way Mytek defines "preamp" is to add rca analog inputs into the DAC, thereby making it not only a volume attenuator but also both a digital (of course) and analog switcher.

As a remote volume DAC (the remote codes are in the user manual and work perfectly) it is ok, but not great. As Michal and I have discussed ad nauseum, for a budget of $1500 they had to make sacrifices, and one area IMHO, is the variable analog stage. It suffices, but is wayyy better (again IMHO ) in bypass mode, which then requires the user to use a preamp or integrated amp (or active speakers, etc). Also, as a Mytek-defined preamp the analog ins are clean and would suffice for someone who primarily listens to digital but needs a secondary analog source for those few times.

Note: the simple difference between the preamp model I am discussing and the mastering model Bruce is using is the choice between RCA analog ins or a set of pro-level SDIF DSD ins (Bruce can hook his Sonoma directly to it). In both cases, remote analog volume is still a menu selection.

As you can tell, this little wonder box has a lot of features, not to mention user set-able DSD and PCM filters, upsampling, etc.

This is a quick review as I found as well the dac is best used in biomass with any volume control. And it greatly improves how it sounds

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #199 of 351
ll I can say is I never liked the sound of the dac and it was recommended to me. A fete. I read about the amp and preamp And tried it with out I was amassed at the change in the sound.

Al d

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #200 of 351
Did anyone get a chance to compare Mytek to Wadia 121? Wadia is supposed to have great dac, headphone amp and pre-amp functionality.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #201 of 351

Did anyone get a chance to compare Mytek to Wadia 121? Wadia is supposed to have great dac, headphone amp and pre-amp functionality.

I had a 121. The first one had issues and was returned. Tried a second one. 
It was just ok, as a headphone amp it had barely enough power to run the HE-500. As a DAC it was decent, running neck & neck with the Calyx 24/192. It was a real pain to pick up the remote every time you wanted to do anything since that was the only way to operate it. 

I think the Mytek is far better in almost every way. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #202 of 351
Todd have you tried the mytek with out the preamp ?

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #204 of 351
What I meant was the mytek has a dac, an preamp and a headphone amp. In the setup menu you can disable the preamp function and just use the dac at line level output. Try it as the sound is much better with out the preamp.

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #206 of 351
Ok and did you hear an improvement when bypassed ??

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #209 of 351
Good when I bought that DAC I was cursing its dull sound
Then by accident I put it in bypass and wow what difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back