My Video Review of the AKG K812 (on SALE in Hong Kong!)
Dec 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 11
thanks for the review!  Can I ask what you said at 5:39?  you were talking about the k812 not being as something for orchestral music compared to hd800.  I thought you said momentum but guessing you said emotion. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 11
thanks for the review!  Can I ask what you said at 5:39?  you were talking about the k812 not being as something for orchestral music compared to hd800.  I thought you said momentum but guessing you said emotion. 

I said momentum. Well, I am not a native English speaker and maybe I am using a wrong word. I am trying to say the feeling of "powerful" and "unstoppable".

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 11
I really enjoyed your video review!

A lot of what you mentioned reflects with current reviews here already but I liked your personal input nontheless.

One thing that puzzles me though is what is the big deal that the 812 is not "balanced" as I've been reliably told by a few members here that there is no discernible difference to the sound regardless of it being balanced or not?

I listen to quite a lot of pop with my HD800's so I was interested to hear from your review that the 812 is also good for that genre.

I'd really like to hear the 812 myself sometime as along with your review here and others like Brooko, they are all very positive of the 812 so I'm kind of intrigued but also get the impression that maybe the 812, HD800 and T1 are maybe more similar than they are different?

But, total yay for your 812 video review! :)

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 11
1k...thats a steal !!

just gotten mine a few days ago USED, my impression is similar...
instrument separation n positioning calls out for my attention, 
my humble tube amps cant cope with the lowest octave on the bass..
so ended up just plugging it into the audiogd amp for better control.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 11
I really enjoyed your video review!

A lot of what you mentioned reflects with current reviews here already r personal input nontheless.

One thing that puzzles me though is what is the big deal that the 812 is not "balanced" as I've been reliably told by a few members here that there is no discernible difference to the sound regardless of it being balanced or not?

I listen to quite a lot of pop with my HD800's so I was interested to hear from your review that the 812 is also good for that genre.

I'd really like to hear the 812 myself sometime as along with your review here and others like Brooko, they are all very positive of the 812 so I'm kind of intrigued but also get the impression that maybe the 812, HD800 and T1 are maybe more similar than they are different?

But, total yay for your 812 video review! :)

someone has actually made a balanced pair?! I thought they were just saying it would be too big of a pain and the sound stage is already open enough that it probably wouldn't be much of a difference. I would love to hear a balanced pair

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 11
someone has actually made a balanced pair?! I thought they were just saying it would be too big of a pain and the sound stage is already open enough that it probably wouldn't be much of a difference. I would love to hear a balanced pair

Sorry, I was talking of the HD800 balanced/non balanced cables difference to sound and not the 812.

I asked elsewhere of this for the HD800 and was told there was no difference in sound quality which I found odd that Sennheiser would sell quite expensive balanced cables for the HD800.

So I guess I don't understand why members complain of the K812 not being able to be balanced?

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 11
I've tried the HD800 with the Balance cable on HDVA600. For me it does sound a little bit better overall. Also, I have a electrostatic headphone system and I use balanced cable (XLR) to connect the amp and the dac. Compare to normal rca connection the soundstage and clarity are both improved. The balance output on my AK240 also sound better too. So I always want a balanced one.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 11
I have not tried personally but I read repeated comments from experienced that generally balanced one can improve sound stage and imaging (only). And it is also said that for music genres besides classical which is performed in smaller band, it is not quite necessary, and sometimes not desirable. For some headphones improvement are quite obvious such as hd600/650.

Fortunately k812 already has decent sound stage single-ended and a head-fier has mentioned on k812 main thread that the sound staged of balanced t1 still cannot match that of k812.

Sure will try the balance effect someday on some phones personally...

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Balanced sounding better is debatable, as most things audio. Most of the time a balanced amp tends to make a headphone sound better simply because the single ended version of it's output is not done so well and/or the output power is halved in SE and that is noticeble on demanding headphones.

I've also heard balanced headphones losing a bit of detail in exchange for a wider soundstage. There is also a demand for balanced cables... it's all good SE or Balanced.  

Nice vid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back