My take on LCD-2 and HD800
Feb 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #91 of 149
I owned a HE-6 for a while. My amp and DAC may not have been up to the task at the time, but I didn't really care for what I heard. I've heard the HE-6 on a much better system and it was good, and I've heard HE-6 on systems that should have been better than mine (when I had them) and they were no better. If they didn't fit like crap, I'd be willing to give them another go now that the rest of my gear is substantially improved.

I also owned the SR-007 Mk1 for a month or so and while it was good, it still shares the problematic center issue like the LCD-2 on this rig. There was a nagging treble peak that gave the sound an artificial feel to it, so I moved back to dynamics with the HD800.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #92 of 149
Quote:
Because their bass clearly has more volume than the treble. That is something no-one can claim otherwise.

With lower treble, you can call a headphone dark, or you can say the treble is proper level and that the bass is elevated. 6 or half a dozen.

You're interjecting your own opinions about the LCD2's sound into his post, and calling him contradictory because you don't agree with his views?  How low can you get?

No one can claim otherwise?  Give me a break.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #93 of 149
lcd2.jpg

Flat bass I will give him. Not dark, no.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #94 of 149
I personally wouldn't link to inner-fidelity graphs to prove a point unless I told everybody how to read them.  For what its' worth, a dip in the upper midrange for Tyll's graphs is actually more appropriate to what should be called neutral.  He explains this a couple times.  He finds the LCD2's fr graph near perfect asides from a lack of treble beyond 10khz.

Purrin's graphs are calibrated by ear using neutral references so what's flatter on his graphs are closer to what's flat in reality.  You'll find the HD800 to be just as much at fault compared to the unveiled LCD2-2 graph he has.  His Rabid Dawg HD800 graph is very nice, though.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #95 of 149
The general rule for audible difference is 3dB. Do you think ~0dB at 1K and -15dB at 4K won't be noticeable? Then at 10k you are down another 5 dB. The HD800 doesn't reach -15dB until past 10k where sound begins to be less heard, more felt.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #96 of 149
Quote:
I owned a HE-6 for a while. My amp and DAC may not have been up to the task at the time, but I didn't really care for what I heard. I've heard the HE-6 on a much better system and it was good, and I've heard HE-6 on systems that should have been better than mine (when I had them) and they were no better. If they didn't fit like crap, I'd be willing to give them another go now that the rest of my gear is substantially improved.

I also owned the SR-007 Mk1 for a month or so and while it was good, it still shares the problematic center issue like the LCD-2 on this rig. There was a nagging treble peak that gave the sound an artificial feel to it, so I moved back to dynamics with the HD800.

The BHA-1 is not nearly improved enough for the HE-6 to reach it's potential.  I owned the BHA-1 and the HE-6 at the same time.  I sold the BHA-1 because it was not better driving the HE-6 than my B22.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #97 of 149
Realize I was coming from a tube amp designed to run 300-600ohm headphones (LD MKVI). The BHA-1 is many times better.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #98 of 149
It's funny you quote 4khz in specific, because Tyll thinks it's an ideal fr up to 4khz.  But oh well, I guess that's just another opinion that you won't agree with-- which is fine, we're all free to have our opinions.

Are you still under the opinion that the Emotiva Mini is a great match for the HE-6 Preproman?

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #99 of 149
So I can't quote Tyll, but you can? :rolleyes:

I think it is rolled off, he doesn't, yet his own measurements don't agree. I really don't know where you are coming from with this.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #100 of 149
Where in my posts did I say you can't quote Tyll? 

I've already told you that the compensation on his graphs isn't perfect, and what is recessed in the upper midrange in his compensated graphs is actually more along the lines of neutral.  In fact he even has an article about how to read his graphs.

Tyll does think the LCD2 lacks some upper treble, so he does consider them rolled off a bit in the treble.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #101 of 149
Quote:

Are you still under the opinion that the Emotiva Mini is a great match for the HE-6 Preproman?

Yes,

Not ideal, but more than adequate.  I liked it better than the BHA-1 and the Mjolnir.  The Mjolnir and the mini X share the same sound sig.  A tab bit on the bright side and very forward.  Don't look for the mini X to be the warm amp your looking for.  Just very transparent, forward.

Hope that helps.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #102 of 149
I'm pretty sure you can eq the shiit out of an HD800 to make it match the LCD2 FR and still not have the same headphone, but they would probably be much closer as the FR affects aspects like subjective speed, presence etc. Im not sure it will affect other measured performance like impulse response and square waves.
That said I think there is an ortho sound, a sort of harmonic richness or smoothness which is common across HE6, LCD2, T50 etc. I dont think this is caused by FR, I think it is inherent to the driver technology.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #103 of 149
So many negative opinions in this thread about the HD800, without mentioning upstream gear. Kinda similar to the K702 in that regard. These are 2 of the fussiest dynamics out there, and unfortunately dismissed frequently because of this. I for one, am very happy I recognized the HD800's technical superiority, and tried and tried again ($$$ ha) until I got the rest of my gear up to snuff.

-Daniel

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #104 of 149
Where in my posts did I say you can't quote Tyll? 

I've already told you that the compensation on his graphs isn't perfect, and what is recessed in the upper midrange in his compensated graphs is actually more along the lines of neutral.  In fact he even has an article about how to read his graphs.

Tyll does think the LCD2 lacks some upper treble, so he does consider them rolled off a bit in the treble.

Sorry for delay, was at work.

I used Tyll's charts (so I used his information or 'quoted'), then you use Tyll to say I can't use Tyll's charts. So you can use him, but I can't, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back