My "subjective" experience with AKM vs ESS DAC chip "sound signature".
Jan 9, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #106 of 112
I really do not understand peoples obsession about more khz than sound perspective. More khz doesnt mean you are getting a better sound. How many recordings at 1536khz? How many songs in captured in that way. Why are bits are so important?

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #108 of 112
I think implementation is the most important thing. For example, the new DAC from Aune - S9c on ESS does not sound at all like Sabre.
I agree. I returned to my dragonfly black after about a year and a half. In that time I have listened to a couple of other ESS implementations, but predominantly moved away from Delta Signal chip based DACs favouring the R2R (RU6, EF400) and 1-Bit (RU7) sound. On returning to the dragonfly, it doesn't sound as bright and sharp on the highs as some other ESS implementations, yet still includes good details and timbre. Implementation is definitely more important IMHO.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #109 of 112
In my opinion, it is difficult to compare ESS and AKM chips if we mean DAC/AMP combo devices.
How much of the sound difference is due to the DAC itself and how much is changed by the headphone AMP itself.
Any DAC comparisons make sense when they are only DACs or streamers and connected to our favorite one headphone amplifier with our favorite one headphones.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #110 of 112
In my opinion, it is difficult to compare ESS and AKM chips if we mean DAC/AMP combo devices.
How much of the sound difference is due to the DAC itself and how much is changed by the headphone AMP itself.
Any DAC comparisons make sense when they are only DACs or streamers and connected to our favorite one headphone amplifier with our favorite one headphones.
In a situation where both are done very well, I most times always prefer the AKM version, there is some smoothness , musicallity in it, I mis in ESS.
And yes I have heared some very very expensive well done ess dacs, but most of the time it was smooth but the price for it costing details.

The akm well done is many times smooth, and still include the details.

I have a very well ess dac at home as well, some moments I like it with electronic music.

If it was only one time, but every tome ess implementations are less musical than akm versions. Does not mean a well done ess dacs are bad, it is a matter of taste. They are still very good.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #111 of 112
There is an audio saying - "Only the chip itself does not sound good, even the more expensive ones - only its correct, well-thought-out implementation."

The latest models AKM 4499EX and the ESS9039 series, their decoding capabilities are far ahead of the currently available lossless music file formats, which cannot even be purchased at such high samples, not to mention streaming services. They must accelerate and at least equalize the capabilities of the latest chips.
This may not necessarily be a good comparison, but now, when 8K TVs are slowly becoming more affordable, and 4K TV has been a standard for many years - where are the TV programs broadcast by satellite in 4K?
I have a device ready to receive high-quality images, but the signal is mostly in FHD.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #112 of 112
did someone tried DSD (upsampling or native files) with AKM vs ESS ? i read somewhere that AKM can basicly run in NOS mode with DSD where ESS still applies some filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back