My Sonic Odyssey So Far (Impressions and Advice)
Dec 17, 2010 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Uncle00Jesse

500+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]Now that I’ve owned a few cans and spent a good deal of time analyzing and enjoying them, I’d like to provide some observations:[/size]

[size=medium]XB700: [/size]
[size=medium]Wow they are boomtastic. My face vibrates with the beats as my head jams along with the song. Colored? Yes, but it depends on the music. These things do rap WELL, bombastically well. But don’t expect to feel like you’re sitting next to Clapton during “Layla”, that’s just not going to happen. Anytime I want to feel like I’m in the backseat of car loaded with insane subs, I whip out the XBs. They’re just that fun.[/size]

[size=medium]MS1i:[/size]
[size=medium]In a sentence, they have changed the way I listen to my music. Wilco’s “Impossible Germany” was almost too much to handle the first time I heard the guitar odyssey that dominates the song. I knew right then and there I was getting into the finer art of sonic bliss, and that this was just the first stepping stone to a major journey. I learned about soundstage with these; impressing me, but nonetheless leaving me wanting so much more. I like to listen to my music loud, I feel like I get the most out of the song as well as the sound this way.  I often feel the MS1i’s are too bright for me long term because of the volume. I just get bombarded by great noises but there’s just too much going on in too little space. For this I know I will need to upgrade, but that path is uncertain. I do love these cans though.[/size]

[size=medium]MDR-SA5000:[/size]
[size=medium]Weird. Weird, weird, weird. I’ve never thought I could love and hate a can so much just by changing from song to song.  One second I feel like Norah Jones got cloned and both of her are singing into my left and right ear. It’s amazing, unbelievable and inspiring. Another second I feel like Wilco’s music got synthesized in Kayne’s music factory and spit out into my appalled ears. I can go down the list of amazing and horrible and all I can come up with is “Weird”.  The detail is there, its breathtaking. But these cans take recorded music and portray it in such a transparent and raw way that it can be too much for a lot of recordings. Sibilance can also become a serious issue at certain volumes. I’m not unhappy with the SA5000’s, but they definitely weren’t at all what I was expecting when I put on that beautiful magnesium hunk of metal creation.[/size]

[size=medium]I would like to ask for some advice on future headphones moving up the ladder. My Fiio E7/E9 combo although amazing for what it is, will eventually get upgraded.  The MS Pro looks like it could be exactly what I’m looking for. Something sweet and smooth, with impressive soundstage and clarity. But then again I’ve heard the RS1’s are so much better than the Pros at everything. I’m also interested in the HD650’s. I’m stuck on what exactly I’m going to get next. Can anyone give some input? I’m up for any suggestions. Thanks[/size]

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 3
First question, how much are you willing to spend on an upgrade? Second, what music do you mainly listen to? Third, preference on open or closed or a certain brand? You know the essentials.

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 3
The furthest I'd go spending wise would probably be equivalent to the price of the RS1/MS Pro. As for music, it's mostly rock/classic rock, with the occational rap to get the blood flowing. I don't necessarily have a closed or open preference, all the phones that I currently do own are open. I'm looking for separation, warmth, clarity, and soundstage. All things I get from the MS1 but could be improved upon in so many ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back