My Short Denon AH-D2000 Review (Compared to HD650s)
Dec 4, 2007 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

troymadison

Headphoneus Supremus
The D2000 is a beast. Before it was burned in, the bass seemed overpowering. My original impressions for the headphones were that they were only good for softer music such as ambient, classical or new age. However, as time passed, I think the treble and bass lessened to the point where they seem quite listenable for any other genre. However, I still think the bass might be a-bit too heavy for some bass heavy D&B, trance or industrial music. In this situation, I’d just reach for my HD650s to solve this problem. For rock, the D2000s impressed the hell out of me. However, with some bass-heavy metal, there might be a problem with too much bass. Another issue I have with the D2000s is that at times, they seem to be too bright. I only find this an issue with I already feel that the mp3/flac file is already too bright. Then I just reach for my HD650s.

The Denons seem to lack the resolution that the HD650s have. If I were to listen to a recording, the Denons seem to stay at the same “volume” throughout the whole recording. Yes, the Denons have an incredible amount of bass/emotional impact but that impact is always there at any time. This makes the “peak” of a song less enjoyable. The HD650s tend to have less of an impact but has more resolution. It is quieter or louder during a track. The “peak” or loud part of a song would be more enjoyable on the HD650s. I think this is why people say that the Denons are more forward sounding. I would have to definitely agree. As for the HD650s, I can only find them listenable without the foam pad because I need that extra sparkle. I like to say that they give off a “fat” sound that isn’t so good for rock even with the de-foam.

I would rate all these headphones as such:
D2000: 9/10
DE-FOAM’D OR EQ’D HD650: 8/10
K701: 6/10
STOCK HD650: 5/10
KSC75: 3/10

*UPDATE* *UPDATE* *UPDATE* *UPDATE* *UPDATE* *UPDATE* *UPDATE* *UPDATE* *UPDATE*

Realized that my x-fi was mudding up the signal due to it not being bit-matched. All the imperfections given to the D2000s are void. The bass is much tighter and the high-end doesn't bother me at all. My new rating is 10/10. They are absolutely perfect now imo.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 88
not a fan of big bass i see.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 88
Do they require an amp?

Oh, and a silly question... between the KSC75 and D2000, which is more 'fun'?
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they require an amp?

biggrin.gif

They are very fun both of them, it's very hard to say, the D2000 has a little brighter treble and more, faster and punchier bass, so I think D2000 is a little more fun to my ears.

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000 is a beast. Before it was burned in, the bass seemed overpowering. My original impressions for the headphones were that they were only good for softer music such as ambient, classical or new age. However, as time passed, I think the treble and bass lessened to the point where they seem quite listenable for any other genre. However, I still think the bass might be a-bit too heavy for some bass heavy D&B, trance or industrial music. In this situation, I’d just reach for my HD650s to solve this problem. For rock, the D2000s impressed the hell out of me. However, with some bass-heavy metal, there might be a problem with too much bass. Another issue I have with the D2000s is that at times, they seem to be too bright. I only find this an issue with I already feel that the mp3/flac file is already too bright. Then I just reach for my HD650s.

The Denons seem to lack the resolution that the HD650s have. If I were to listen to a recording, the Denons seem to stay at the same “volume” throughout the whole recording. Yes, the Denons have an incredible amount of bass/emotional impact but that impact is always there at any time. This makes the “peak” of a song less enjoyable. The HD650s tend to have less of an impact but has more resolution. It is quieter or louder during a track. The “peak” or loud part of a song would be more enjoyable on the HD650s. I think this is why people say that the Denons are more forward sounding. I would have to definitely agree. As for the HD650s, I can only find them listenable without the foam pad because I need that extra sparkle. I like to say that they give off a “fat” sound that isn’t so good for rock even with the de-foam.

I would rate all these headphones as such:
D2000: 9/10
DE-FOAM’D OR EQ’D HD650: 8/10
K701: 6/10
STOCK HD650: 5/10
KSC75: 3/10

I agree with a lot you say and especially that they rock really hard!

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so u like the d2000 more than the hd650? =D

Yes, I am amazed by the d2000s every time I use them. I love the HD650s but they don't have the "wow" factor the d2000s have.

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they require an amp?

biggrin.gif

D2000s. I find the KSC75s much brighter and the KSC75s have horrible quality bass IMO. They are my headache cans. For $10, it's a steal though.

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 88
Can you post a picture of you wearing them? I'm considering them but i'm afraid they will be too big for portable use. Also, how is the isolation. Would it be enough to block out a plane/ screaming kids? THANKS

ps. does it require an amp (how does it sound with and without)
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you post a picture of you wearing them? I'm considering them but i'm afraid they will be too big for portable use. Also, how is the isolation. Would it be enough to block out a plane/ screaming kids? THANKS

biggrin.gif

Don't have a camera with me right now. The isolation is good enough to block all the noise from my computer and outside. I can hear myself type pretty easily. I think they will be okay on a plane. For screaming kids, well uh, it will help.
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 88
IMO the isolation is so-so. They are relatively big and since they are so comfortable, they dont have much grip on yr head. I definately would not recommend you to buy it for portable use.

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #12 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

They do need an amp. Without one you simply can't crank the volume up high at all. Extremely comfortable headphones, I can wear them an entire day without any trace of fatigue.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do need an amp. Without one you simply can't crank the volume up high at all. Extremely comfortable headphones, I can wear them an entire day without any trace of fatigue.

How high volume do you listen at
eek.gif
I can get good volume out of a Creative zen v

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I am amazed by the d2000s every time I use them. I love the HD650s but they don't have the "wow" factor the d2000s have.

DITTO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back