my short cord hd280 experiment...
Apr 9, 2003 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

a1leyez0nm3

1000+ Head-Fier
after having my iriver 350 fall off the counter from the coiled cord on my hd280pros i decided i needed a straight, short cord. i went to the dollar store... got some cheapo headphones and came home.. took the headphones apart, took off the old wire, put on the cheapo ones.. tried it on.. my first reaction was of surprise and fright. they sounded horrible. i knew it was the cable. . . not wanting to go back to the original cord i scrambled for a decent cable... then saw my ksc50s sitting on the floor. i quickly butter knived them in my relentless rage and soldered the cord (at the Y) to my 280s. in the process i poked a hole in my right pad with the iron and ripped a hole in the left pad pulling it off (it was 3am and i was tired). i tried them out. i was disappointed. the bass had been noticeably lowered. the overall sound lacked refinement as well as the high highs. i really like the shorter non coiled cord but i want my old sound back... without the coils. where could i get a cord to use? im mad at myself and my 280s for losing my somewhat in good condition ksc50s and poking holes in my pads.
frown.gif
frown.gif
what cord should i use:? or what type? maybe from a headphone i could take from? anything? please help. thanks,

chris

Apr 10, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 15
FiXeD!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

i was going to get some cord at merkertek.com but you have to use a credit card to order and i dont have one so i went to rat shack and picked up the most expensive cable interconnect i could find and soldered that into the phones, but doing a better job this time. it was a gold plugged 3 wire cable (6ft) (that i wish i would have made a tad bit shorter but who cares). it is a bit stiff, but still a huge improvement over the thump thump coiled cable. it almost seems like the highs have been improved slightly with this new cable. maybe a bit cleaner sound. im not sure. i know the new cable sounds better than the koss cable for sure. i left my camera out in my truck so ill get some pictures tomorrow or sometime. i am glad i put this cord on (except when i put the holes in the pads, but those can always be replaced). yay me. i actually fixed something without utterly destroying it in the process.
smily_headphones1.gif

well if anyone is interested this isnt too hard with some instruction (i can post some instructions to make it go fast if anyone wants). i feel that the highs were improved a bit with the new cable. maybe its just me being tired, but i think they do sound better now.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 15
pictures.. if anyone wants what the soldering looks like ask and ill take them open and show you. you dont need to open any of the pictures. the images displayed are the ones that are linked.
attachment.php

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 15
phones
attachment.php

as you can see the cord doesnt fit right in the phone hole, but you could probably use the old socket sleeve thing from the old cord.

Apr 11, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 15
Nice job bro ! That's diggity dope !
biggrin.gif

I actually would like to mod my PX 200 cord one day cause it's way too long IMO...any helpful hints would be cool, but I'm thinking that the cord is too thin to work with ? I dunno. Plus, I'm no soldering pro either.

Apr 11, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
Nice job bro ! That's diggity dope !
biggrin.gif

I actually would like to mod my PX 200 cord one day cause it's way too long IMO...any helpful hints would be cool, but I'm thinking that the cord is too thin to work with ? I dunno. Plus, I'm no soldering pro either.

you shouldnt have to worry too much about thin cords. as long as you have a steady hand and a soldering iron you should be able to do this. are you just going to shorten the cord you already have? i am assuming so... if you just clip off whatever amount you dont want and then strip all the little individual wires (noting which wires go where *** very important ***) then solder them back together to the wires inside (or actual posts) using pre existent solder or using your own. ill post more later if you want. maybe with pictures too... although when i finished i filled up the hole cavity with hot glue to ensure the wires wouldnt touch eachother and to hold the cable securely...

ps: heres on of the holes i put in my pad... this one was from putting the pad too close to the iron and coughing at the same time... and being really tired (3am).

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back