My Search Ends Here - Oppo, HiFiMAN, B&W, M&D, Momentum 2, Philips
Apr 14, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #16 of 19
For sure my favorite aspect about the Philips X2 is the comfort. I could leave them on all day, seriously. Absolutely amazing. But... I'm not sure I'll keep them. They sound like a pair of nice home floorstanding speakers. The soundstage is expansive. The highs are airy, the lows have the best extension and articulation that I've heard so far, and the mids sound just right. Everything sounds smooth and detailed. It's almost too perfect considering the price.

And that's why it's so hard to pinpoint my exact reasons for most likely eventually returning them. I don't feel like they're missing anything when reproducing songs and music, I feel like I'm missing something. They don't teleport me to music wonderland. They are extremely neutral sounding, and I think I need more warmth in a headphone. The music just doesn't melt into my ears like it did with the Sennheiser Momentum. The X2 might be technically superior to the 1st gen Momentum that I spent time listening to, but it doesn't give me the same level of enjoyment. The worst I can say about the X2 is that the treble is a little thin sounding.

It's easy to see why many people love these headphones. They are perfect for playing games and watching shows... and music of course sounds great. It feels like you're in a large room of sound. It feels like there are no headphones. I can easily give them an overall 9.5/10 in comfort and sound for the price. But I don't experience an eagerness to find the opportunity to listen to them and when I do have the opportunity, I'm just not that eager to grab them, and I want to be. This has been a good reminder of how subjective sound preference is. These just aren't calling to me.

Still going to check out the Oppo PM-3, but I'm not expecting them to be as comfortable as the X2. I think I'll give the Momentum 2.0 a try as well.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #17 of 19
^I'm currently looking for a new pair of headphones as well to pair with my new portable player Colorfly C4 Pro and want a similar kind of sound you're describing - warm, smooth, rich, involving, dynamic and detailed all at once. A relaxing sound that's "easy on the ears", altough not boring. I want none of that harshness or "hardness" that feels like razors in your ears on higher volumes.

So please keep us posted.

How's the Oppo PM-3?

The ones I've been interested in recently are B&W P7, Sennheiser HD650 and Fidelio X1 but haven't had the chance to test them myself.
Shure SHR1840 looks pretty interesting too, perhaps a little bit expensive though (even on pre-used market where I'm mainly searching).

regular_smile .gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #19 of 19
Hey guys, I never ended up purchasing the PM-3. I decided at some point that I want the HD650, and I've been stubbornly waiting for them to drop back down to $280, and I know I'm not alone in that. And if that never happens, so be it. I just moved into a house a couple months ago and so I've been concentrating on upgrading my HT. And I'm constantly changing out my car's system, so I'm keeping busy.

I wish I had signed up for the PM-3 loaner program, and I still might. I keep tabs on the PM-3, HD650, and X2 threads for fun and enjoy reading that stuff. I'm also interested in the HE-560, PM-1 & 2, some MrSpeakers, and LCD-2, but they are currently out of my price range by far. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back