my routers are slow on wifi but fast on ethernet
May 6, 2010 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
i'm talking like 20mbps down on ethernet, and like 5mbps down on wifi. and of course i'm using G so were not passing 54mbps of course

i've used two different routers, both supposed to be good ones. the current one is:

linksys cisco      WRT54G2 V1

it's one of those black, flat ones that say cisco on them and don't have any antennas sticking up

btw...................celebrate for me: i got THE VERY VERY LAST spot at auto shop 101 at saddleback community college in orangec county, CA. god bless community college

May 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Are there other wireless networks on the same frequency in the area? 2.4GHz WiFi is pretty much unusable in the dorm I'm currently staying in since there are ~25 networks within range. 5GHz 802.11n does wonders in that kind of situation.

May 7, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Scan for other networks, try a channel furthest away from other channels.

If that doesn't help - it could be that your router just has too slow of a processor for the encryption you're using.

May 7, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the three non-overlapping channels. Keep this in mind when selecting a 2.4GHz WiFi channel- don't select 2-5 or 7-10 or you're more likely to experience interference issues from other networks now or in the future.

Edit: Just to clarify this isn't really interference in the sense that other access points will be wrecking your signal directly. Rather, you're sharing the same spectrum with other networks in the area. Fewer networks on the same channel = more opportunity for your network to send/receive data without yielding to someone else.

May 7, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 7
oops, disregard this....

May 7, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the three non-overlapping channels. Keep this in mind when selecting a 2.4GHz WiFi channel- don't select 2-5 or 7-10 or you're more likely to experience interference issues from other networks now or in the future.

Edit: Just to clarify this isn't really interference in the sense that other access points will be wrecking your signal directly. Rather, you're sharing the same spectrum with other networks in the area. Fewer networks on the same channel = more opportunity for your network to send/receive data without yielding to someone else.

No, what you're referring to is other routers wrecking your signal directly.

Most radio transmitters modulate on more than precisely the nominal frequency and bandwidth they are configured for. If you look up the FCC ID for a given transmitter at the FCC website, you can see a nice graph of how powerful the transmission is outside of it's intended area.

If another router is on channel 11 you can't tune to channel 10 and associate with it, but your signal on channel 10 is degraded by the signal on channel 11.

However, if 1, 6, and 11 are already occupied, you can do a lot worse than 3,4,8, and 9.

May 8, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:

No, what you're referring to is other routers wrecking your signal directly.

Most radio transmitters modulate on more than precisely the nominal frequency and bandwidth they are configured for. If you look up the FCC ID for a given transmitter at the FCC website, you can see a nice graph of how powerful the transmission is outside of it's intended area.

If another router is on channel 11 you can't tune to channel 10 and associate with it, but your signal on channel 10 is degraded by the signal on channel 11.

However, if 1, 6, and 11 are already occupied, you can do a lot worse than 3,4,8, and 9.

I could just set my router to channel 14(tomato ftw) and have no interference. But then none of my other devices work with it. And then the FCC would come find me....

Actually there are only 2 other routers within range of my house so finding non-overlapping channels isn't a big deal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back