My recent experience (A900, A900Ti, D2000, Stax 2050II, W1000, W5000)
Oct 6, 2008 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

darkswordsman17

500+ Head-Fier
This is just a thread to give my impressions of my recent headphone trials, which hopefully some will find beneficial. I do tend to get a bit wordy, so sorry in advance. Feel free to skip to the cliffs if you want.

Back in March, I bought a pair of A900Ti, fully expecting to keep them for a long time. I was fresh off my self-modded deep cup DT770s, and I was happy with the A900Ti's for a while. However, I became bored with the sound, so I decided to move on.

About early August I believe it was, I got lucky and nabbed an excellent condition W5000s. I had the same issues that basically everyone else has. I think a somewhat thicker earpad would go a long way to remedying the fit issues, and would help get a seal which would help with the bass. The sound signature really is not something I would have expected to like (to my ears kinda forward mids, lots of treble and high end, somewhat lacking in quantity bass), but I absolutely loved them. I was blown away. The speed and detail was mesmerizing. Even with fast music with a lot going on they never broke a sweat and somehow managed to show you everything a recording has, but keeping emphasis on the main sound. They weren't perfect, but I still loved it. I was going to do the Fitz F5005 mod, but unfortunately I had to part with them. That's ok though, as it spurred a journey.

Next up, I ordered a pair of A900s (regular ones), but my order took longer than expected, so I ended up snagging a Stax 2050II system. They were more tonally correct than the W5000s, and they were fast and had detail, but I couldn't deal with how open they were. I did still prefer the coloration of the W5000, but they were comparable. Personally for me, even coming from the bass monster 770s, neither one was lacking in that area. I would prefer more quantity in both, but the quality was good with both.

The A900s showed up soon after, and I also picked up the D2000s. I had a showdown to see which I'd keep. They actually sounded pretty similar. Both are very good, and I think a lot of people would be happy with either one. The D2000s have a unique bass sound that is appealing. Its reminiscent of a good quality subwoofer, gives you a real feel of the sound. They have a large quantity, but it doesn't overpower the rest of it like the DT770s do. In the end I was going to stick with them. They were just a little bit more comfortable and I was wanting to try some mods on them (I've owned and modded the A900s before).

But of course, another kink in my plans that led me to the W1000. I'm liking the speed and detail, although its not quite up to the level of the W5000 in either respect. They sound a little more normal than the W5000, but they aren't as good at presenting the details. You can hear them, but you have to focus a little to pick out everything. I think I prefer the W5000s bass a little. There is something strange that both do. Its hard to explain it, but they somehow manage to remove the people from the music. Not the vocals, they're all there, its just you get the results of the instruments, but its like they've removed the people playing them. I know it sounds very strange, but its actually very natural and does not take away from the enjoyability at all for me. The W1000 do very well with heavier sounding music (metal, rock), which I find funny since that's definitely not what I would expect given their appearance. I think I'm going to hang onto these for a little while. I'm awfully tempted to go back to the W5000s, but I want to tinker a bit and I think I'm going to go for a Little Dot I+ and see how it sounds with them.

So here's my opinion:
W5000>W1000 (but both are a bit underappreciated on here in my opinion)
W1000>A900/A900Ti
A900Ti>A900 (Ti are better but make you want to move on to something that does the little extras they add even more)
D2000~A900 (I give slight edge to Denon's for bass sound and very slight edge in comfort)
W5000>Stax 2050II (I prefer the coloration of the W5000s, also the Stax were too open for me)

I'm definitely an Audio-Technica fan. Denon's are great too. I'm still refusing to try Grados (for various reasons, I will some day, but I will not buy until I've heard them), and I do need to give the Kx01s and K340s a try. KSC-75s are still amazing value, and I still use them regularly but only as a while I'm watching Hulu or Youtube kinda thing. They are the only headphones that I have kept throughout, and I don't see them going anywhere. Not that they couldn't be a primary headphone, but closed circumaurals are what gets my serious listening.

What's next? Maybe nothing, maybe a return to the W5000, possibly a trial with the D5000. I would love to check out some of the higher stuff (L3000, Stax, among others), but I'm not really in a position to (and my current setup wouldn't do them justice). Maybe someday.

Looking for a good low impedence amp. Little Dot I+ is looking good, but I'm also tempted by the Shanling PH-100 (and its not being made anymore so now would be a good time to snag it since it'll likely end up like the Original Master, another one I'd like to try). There's also the Yulong DAH1, which the amp section is a copy of the Lehman Black Cube Linear (I think it came out at a bad time as high impedence seemed to rule then, whereas low impedence is definitely more popular and its better at driving). Any feedback (particularly with the W1000/W5000) would be appreciated. I know there are better amps for them (Yamamoto and HA-5000), but they're a bit out of my price range. Wish I had the time and skills for DIY.

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 24
Thanks for your impressions, seems that W5000 are the winner so far...
Can you share some more about the closed back feeling with W5000 please. What I mean is actually if their soundstage/airiness sounds more closed back or in just natural/open way.

THX

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 24
They don't sound closed, but you get a modest amount of isolation which helps a lot for me. The W1000 do sound a little closed, not as open and airy (and I think is why they do well with heavier sounding music). Its a bit more intimate sound in regards to the instruments, although I think the W5000 sound more intimate with vocals (think singer on a platform extended towards you with the rest of the band back on stage). To my ears, the W1000 have an inverted pyramid, with the high end getting a bit more focus, then the mids, then the lows. Its not drastic, and I think with a lot of amps would have good synergy.

I do think the W1000 would probably pair well with tubes. It'd help smooth out the sound (at times it seems like its trying to be overly fast when the music isn't, which the W5000 didn't seem to do, I think its the difference in how they present details).

With a bit more detail separation, I think a lot of people would actually choose the W1000. A source and amp that helped spread things out would go a long way towards that.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 24
The most important thing is that W5000 sounds not really closed back, which is my first priority, however their fit still an issue, need to try them anyway. Many thanks for extra info
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 24
Great review on your findings. I was looking into some information about the w5000s the other day and I'm interested to know your opinion on genres the w5000 will do well in. I like all-round headphones, who are able to excel in all kinds of genres, but then top-notch. Do you reckon they will play rock (killswitch engage for example) well, or pop...?

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 24
I received a new pair of W5000 yesterday: I am in the process of re-discovering headphone listening and have at home my "old" K701s and a borrowed DX1000's.
Using a Meier Opera amp.
On first try (new from the box) I was shocked at the W5000s after living for all the week end with the DX1000s. How different... very light bottom-end, but very airy, lots of detail, and maybe traces of agresivity.
After one night of burn-in, the contrast with DX1000 is still here but the agresivity has gone and there is now some bass to speak of.
I am liking them more than the somewhat 'opaque' DX1000s but as I said it is still too early to judge, and I am still too new in this 'second live' of mine as a headphone listener...
Right now, I'll say DX1000 are a bit of the B&W 802D I have in my main system, and W5000 are a bit of the ML Summit I tried as an alternative candidates in the day.
Regards
Josep

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 24
So, I assume that W5000 would benefit from tube amp, isn't? Not sure about the Opera, what ever its warm, neutral or else sounding amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by josep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received a new pair of W5000 yesterday: I am in the process of re-discovering headphone listening and have at home my "old" K701s and a borrowed DX1000's.
Using a Meier Opera amp.
On first try (new from the box) I was shocked at the W5000s after living for all the week end with the DX1000s. How different... very light bottom-end, but very airy, lots of detail, and maybe traces of agresivity.
After one night of burn-in, the contrast with DX1000 is still here but the agresivity has gone and there is now some bass to speak of.
I am liking them more than the somewhat 'opaque' DX1000s but as I said it is still too early to judge, and I am still too new in this 'second live' of mine as a headphone listener...
Right now, I'll say DX1000 are a bit of the B&W 802D I have in my main system, and W5000 are a bit of the ML Summit I tried as an alternative candidates in the day.
Regards
Josep

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I assume that W5000 would benefit from tube amp, isn't? Not sure about the Opera, what ever its warm, neutral or else sounding amp.

Believe it or not, my last half hour was wearing the W5000s connected to... yes, a tube amp!
I have my LD2++ here and is is quite warmer (in all senses!! My one has the Mullard input tubes) than the Meier Opera (not a 'bright' amplifier at all btw, even being SS and opamp based).
And yes, I liked how it sounded with the tubes.
But I liked too how it sounded with the Meier via the high Z output (gives them a nice bit of a warm touch, not warmer than the LD).
I have to say again however that for me is too early to 'judge' anything: both the cans are too new (not even 24h burn in!) and myself too am new to them.

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gideonMorrison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review on your findings. I was looking into some information about the w5000s the other day and I'm interested to know your opinion on genres the w5000 will do well in. I like all-round headphones, who are able to excel in all kinds of genres, but then top-notch. Do you reckon they will play rock (killswitch engage for example) well, or pop...?

Hmm, well, its a little difficult for me to say. I think they would be at their best with music I don't really listen to (full orchestral, all vocal, choir). Don't get me wrong, because of their inherent qualities they really bring out everything in any genre. I would really like to hear an F5005 modded one, as I think it'd be exceptional for everything. They're fast enough that they could lose a little bit of speed in exchange for some added quantity and still be very fast, and it would be more suitable for what I would consider more mainstream genres (rock, pop, etc).

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 24
If you could eq them without degrading their sound they would be an amazing set of cans, say up a notch or two at 31hz, and down a notch at 4k and 8k. Otherwise, component matching is crucial and thus you may want to build a system around them carefully selecting your source, cables and amplifier.

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 24
Your comments echo those of most others, except for the A900Ti, which don't have many comments at all. Please elaborate on the sound signature. Are they technically superior to the regular A900s? The W1000s?

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #12 of 24
Hello darkswordsman17,

Although I do not listen to metal, my daughter prefers W1000 over Grado SR325i for this type of music. I like W1000 very much and I do not consider them as jazz... headphones. I never heard W5000, but hopefully I will one day.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your comments echo those of most others, except for the A900Ti, which don't have many comments at all. Please elaborate on the sound signature. Are they technically superior to the regular A900s? The W1000s?

Yeah, not a lot of people have heard the Ti's. Thinking about this more. I would actually say the Ti's are better, actually somewhat significantly so. You can get most of the way there by modding the A900s (and using different earpads, although I prefer the extra thickness of the A900's), although the best parts of the Ti's sound you can't. Because of the thinner earpads, they are a bit more forward and bass is reduced, leading to an overall more neutral sound. The soundstage was as open, but you feel closer to the music, and they have more imaging, which gives them just a little bit of a 3-D somewhat holographic sound. Guitar strums was another area that was very nice with them. My issue is that, while these are very good things, it leaves you wanting more of it. I think that's why I like the W5000 so much, it took the things I like about the A900Ti and just pushes them (I want to say exaggerate, but I don't feel that fits as it doesn't feel that way with the W5000).

I'm really glad that you asked that as its gotten me to think about it more. I would say the A900Ti are somewhere between the A900 and W5000s, with maybe 80% of the character of the A900s and 20% of the W5000s. The problem, is that 20% just isn't enough, you'd want it to be more like 50%, and I think if it had that it would've been a keeper, but it leaves you wanting more of it, so you feel like moving on more than with the A900s.

The A900Ti sound more like the W5000 than the W1000 do, I feel. That doesn't mean they're better, as I do think the W1000 are superior, but the latter seems to be focused on sounding different, aimed at being more aggressive. The A900Ti are a bit laid back, and lose out in detail and just can't keep up speed wise. The W5000 are a little laid back as well, but it is even better with the detail, and easily keeps up. I think the aggressiveness of the W1000 makes it harder to pick out the details compare to the W5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back