My PX100's are breaking - What to replace them with?
Apr 20, 2011 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zzed

New Head-Fier
This is my first post on head-fi, so please be kind :)

For normal, every day use, I've become acustomed to my Grado SR60's.  For gym and portable use, I have my Sennheiser PX100's.

Problem:
My PX100's are breaking.  I can see bare wire peeking out where the cord enters one of the ear cups.  So far, it still works, but it's only a matter of time....

While I don't consider myself an audiophile, I guess I've been spoiled by my Grado's and PX100's.  So in my search for replacements to my PX100's, I've yet to find one that is similar in sound.

Brand Model Comments
Sennheiser PX100-II I liked the look and feel, but the sound seemed too muffled
Sennheiser CX300-II My first foray into IEMs.  Way too boomy.
Klipsch S2 Not nearly as balanced (frequency-wise) as the PX100.
Klipsch S4 More bass, but still not well balanced.
Koss PortaPro Was supposed to be the silver bullet.  Cheap and relatively comfortable, but the bloated mid-bass is to much for me to ignore (even after two months of use).

I've been researching myself to death over this.  Life would be easier if there were a local store for me to try more models of other brands, but, alas, the above list (minus the PortaPro's) are the only ones I could find locally.

My Question:
For anyone familiar with the PX100's and/or SR60's, can you recommend any cans that would be comparable (if not better) than them?  Keep in mind, these would be used at the gym, so I'm hoping for a lightweight on-ear or IEM type.

Thanks in advance!

-=Zzed=-

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 6
iGrado, $49 on Amazon

319WaWzIS1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 6
Actually, the iGrado's where part of my most recent research.  At first, they looked promising, seeing how they supposedly have the same drivers as my beloved SR60's.  But the reviews online vary from one extreme to another.  Some say they are the best, others say they are the most uncomfortable things in existence.  Have you (or anyone else) tried the iGrados?

-=Zzed=-

Edit:  Specifically, I had seen this headphoneinfo.com review and this one this head-fi review.

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 6
I owned them for a while, I sold them because I found some IEMs I liked. As for comfort, they do clamp your head rather tight but I never found it all that uncomfortable. I remember a post a while back detailing how to loosen them up.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 6
what about Jay V-Jays?

I have it, and consider it a better buy than SR60 (sold few years a go before I have the V-Jays, so I cannot compare). I think it sounded clearer than SR60, which always congested when handle heavy and complex orchestral passage.

May 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 6
I appreciate the suggestions!  I almost ordered a set of iGrados, but ended up getting a pair of AKG K420's.  I must fully disclose, I've only owned them less than 24 hours, but so far I love the sound.  Exactly what I was looking for.  To compare to the PX100 they replace, it's similar but with more extension, especially on the highs.  As for comfort, well, it's almost there.  I may buy some replacement headphone cushions (meant for the PX100) from eBay and stick them on the K420's so the band doesn't rest right on the crown of my head.

I realize I didn't take any of the suggestions, but I still thank everyone for making me keep looking!

-=Zzed=-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back