My 'Phones Gear Has Been Banned At Work, Need Suggestions For Replacements
Jun 20, 2016 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RoboJ1M

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My work system for work has been:

Banned because:

• Not PAT tested, refusing to PAT test it themselves or accept external PAT testing.
  • Not required for work.

So, I need to replace everything but the headphones (I'm allowed those) and still have a decent sound.

Therefore I need:

• A new DAC
  • A new amp

Would quite like:

• Recommendation for a pair of closed back 'phones.

All with the following requirements:

• Discreet.
  • Not mains powered in any way, the only external power it will be allowed to use is USB power.
  • Easy on the ears (I had a pocket IC amp, it was too harsh, I couldn't listen to it for more than a few hours before my ears got tired, I little dot I could listen to continuously) 

Any suggestions welcomed.

Many Thanks,

J1M.

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 7
If you can stretch to $599, I'm sure you realise there's a very unobtrusive little British DAC-Amp available, that would sound very nice, and charge via USB.

I must say, though, that this:

• Not PAT tested, refusing to PAT test it themselves or accept external PAT testing.

seems extremely unfair! Fine to expect it to be tested, but to refuse either internal or external testing??

...but... at least they're willing to let you listen to music, at all, while you work, so you're luckier than most, and can count your blessings, in that regard.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 7
So, from this and another sites thread I wrote I have:

iFi Micro iDSD (£415)
HeadAmp Pico DAC/AMP (£375)
OPPO HA-2 (£259)

Which? gave the HA-2 a best of for under £400 award and 5 stars.

I want to new pair of 'phones too.
People are complaining about too much leakage from the HD595s.

I'm propably going to replace them with a pair of Sennheiser HD 380 PROs which appear to be much the same but closed and for monitoring not listening.

They're a bargain at £85 here in the UK.

Can I get some recommendations for a pair of over-ear closed-backs?

Thanks,

J1M.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Try a Leckerton UHA-4 it works WONDERS with my HD598's especially combined with a Somy Walkman DAP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back