MY PFE,RE2,SE310 comparison .
May 29, 2009 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Laokid18

500+ Head-Fier
I just got the RE2s yesterday so burn in isn't complete, but I am still impressed with them. I have had the PFEs for about 3 months and have been borrowing my roomates SE310 for about a week now. All comparisons made with my zune 120, with 320 kbps mp3s and WMA lossless, fiio E5 used with RE2 and PFE.

[size=small]COMFORT[/size]: RE2>PFE>SE310
Both the RE2 and PFE are very comfortable to me, but when it comes to convenience putting on RE2 with Bi-fanges is quicker than putting on PFE with olives. The SE310 is pretty comfortable but, I noticed them alot more in my ears than the PFE or RE2. This is because the shures go in significantly deeper in the ears than the PFE/RE2. Also the shure cables are alot heavier , and in two pieces, so its kind of annoying.

[size=small]MICROPHONICS[/size]:pFE>SE310>RE2
To me, I hear no noticeable Microphonics with the PFE, Se310 is about average only noticeable with no music playing, RE2 microphonics are bad, the cable is very stiff, one slight movement is heard very easily. This sucks for me, because I wanted to use the RE2 for commuting.

[size=small]MUSIC[/size]: My favorite bands are [size=medium]Rage Against the Machine [/size]and [size=medium]Radiohead [/size]
So I need headphones that can handle these two completely different styles of music.

[size=small]FINALLY[/size]

[size=small]HIGHS[/size]: PFE> SE310>RE2
The PFEs highs have great detail /sparkle without being to bright, SE310s are smooth and recessed/a little rolled off, compared to the PFEs. RE2 sparkles but is rolled off.

[size=small]MIDS[/size]: PFE>SE310>RE2
PFE has natural balanced/detailed mids with a sense of air to them, SE310 is forward and while good with some music, it doesn't reach upper mids well/ sounds to slow for female vocals. RE2 is less forward than SE310 more forward than PFE, a little less detail.

[size=small]BASS[/size]: PFE>RE2>SE310
The PFE bass is very tight and detailed, it extends down very low. Perfect amount of bass for me. The RE2 has less bass than the PFE and rolls off a little early. SE310 bass doen't extend as low as PFE and is to much muddy midbass.

[size=small]SOUNDSTAGE[/size]:pFE>SE310>RE2
PFE have widest soundstage , best instrument seperation.SE310 a little smaller soundstage , more congested sounding, RE2 have great soundstage for there price.

In conclusion , I still love my PFEs more than SE310 and the RE2 are a great value at just 39 dollars.

May 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 11
Thank you for the comparison!
smile.gif

The PFE are still doing strong... Let's see what Phonak comes up with in a month.

May 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the comparison!
smile.gif

The PFE are still doing strong... Let's see what Phonak comes up with in a month.

Can you tell me what is supposed to happen in a month? Is it a redesign? Same price? Can I replace my cracked ones with them? Thanks
wink.gif

May 29, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the feedback everyone! This is my first comparison of anything really, so I was kind of nervous typing this. I also really want to know what Phonak is going to do in the coming months, just a PFE revision it seems, but I hope they release a new IEM by the end of this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back