My old Sony "Car Discman" PCDP any good??
Dec 10, 2001 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JohnnyLightOn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm in the process of putting together a home/semi-portable headphone rig. I listen to rock, jazz, and classical. I plan to get the Ety 4P (or maybe 4S) as my cans. Right now I think I would like the Corda home amp, although I wish I had the $750 for one of the liquid-yet-detailed sounding tube amps. As for my source...

I have a Sony Car Discman, model D-808K. It was manufactured in April, 1992. It has a 1 bit DAC and has two DSP modes, enhanced bass and another mode that seems to boost treble somewhat. It has a line-out. It came with a car unit that runs power to it from the cigarette lighter adapter and a springy isolation-base that it can disconnect from.

Has anyone heard this PCDP or have any thoughts for me on whether this source will sound good? My alternatives are some of the cheaper ($100-125) new PCDPs, and a home CDP like the Cambridge Audio D-300.

Thanks,

Johnny

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 3
I have a D808k that I use at work. It really is semi-portable due to the power consumption. I think that the sound compares favorably to many of the new PCDPs, although I have not listened to any of the Panas that get raves on this forum.

Some cool features on the 808:
Hefty built in amp. Drives my ER4S without need for assistance.
DSP has variable bass boost. The lowest setting is great for listening at very low volume levels.
Backlit display and large backlit buttons. Even the disc tray lights up!

The other DSP mode is a dynamic range compressor. I never found a need for it other than recording from CD to cassette.

Dec 11, 2001 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 3
Excellent! That means I don't have to worry about a source for now - thanks, Greg!

Head-fi is my new favorite place on the net.
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back