My nOrh SE9 will not turn on anymore.
Nov 17, 2003 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
Hopefully, someone may be able to tell me what may be wrong with my amplifier.

I had it on, and was listening to music, and then suddenly it just died, and won't switch on again.

Sounds like a fuse doesn't it? Is this easily fixable?

Nov 17, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 13
It does sound like it could be a fuse. Does the manual talk about them? They are normally on the back panel near the power. If it is a fuse remember they normally do not blow without a reason so there may be something else wrong.

Nov 17, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 13
Uh...er...manual? Did ANY of you nOrh SE9 owners actually GET a manual??
confused.gif

Nov 17, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 13
HappyMan,

If it won't hurt the amp, try removing one tube at a time and see if it will turn on. If not replace it and try another tube. If you get done with all the tubes and it still won't work the tubes are good and not the problem. (Obvious, I know, but wanted to say it anyway.)

The fuse might be right on the back of the unit next to the IEC inlet. just unscrew it and remove the holder. The fuse will most likely come out with the holder. To check a fuse you need either a multimeter, or some wire to hook to both ends of a battery and a small buld from a flashlight. DO NOT trust your eyes to verify if it is bad. I have seen a great many fuses blow and they looked perfect to my eyes, but were totally open on a multimeter.

Nov 17, 2003 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks Sov, but it's not the tubes, because I have tried a spare set of tubes that I had packed away.

Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
HappyMan,

If it won't hurt the amp, try removing one tube at a time and see if it will turn on. If not replace it and try another tube. If you get done with all the tubes and it still won't work the tubes are good and not the problem. (Obvious, I know, but wanted to say it anyway.)

The fuse might be right on the back of the unit next to the IEC inlet. just unscrew it and remove the holder. The fuse will most likely come out with the holder. To check a fuse you need either a multimeter, or some wire to hook to both ends of a battery and a small buld from a flashlight. DO NOT trust your eyes to verify if it is bad. I have seen a great many fuses blow and they looked perfect to my eyes, but were totally open on a multimeter.

Nov 17, 2003 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Uh...er...manual? Did ANY of you nOrh SE9 owners actually GET a manual??
confused.gif

No manual.
biggrin.gif
But it sure did sound great while it was working.

Let me find a screw driver, and I'll take a look at the fuse. I actually have two SE9's, so maybe I'll try switching the fuses around. Wish me luck.

Nov 17, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 13
I'd definitely recommend contacting Michael Barnes. I had to put my SE9 in temporary storage while decorating over the summer. When I got around to unboxing it and setting it up again there was distortion in one channel. I did the obvious checks and sought advice on the nOrh forum at audiocircles.com. Eventually MB sent me a new amp since it was less than a year old. The new one works fine. (I had to pay the import duty, UPS 'brokerage' fee, etc as I live in the UK, though.)

It's a great component when it's working.

Nov 18, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 13
Hmmm... The fuse was indeed blown, and I replaced it. But now when I turn it on, the rectifier tube glows bright blue, and makes a buzzing sound.

I've never pulled the power cord so quickly before.
frown.gif

Michael Barnes is helping me out. Thanks for your help guys.

Nov 23, 2003 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
Hmmm... The fuse was indeed blown, and I replaced it. But now when I turn it on, the rectifier tube glows bright blue, and makes a buzzing sound.

I've never pulled the power cord so quickly before.
frown.gif

Michael Barnes is helping me out. Thanks for your help guys.

YIKES!! It almost sounds like there's some kind of short or something in your rectifier tube. Let us know what happens.

Nov 24, 2003 at 7:36 AM Post #11 of 13
Turns out my rectifier tube went dead, and caused the fuse to blow.

All I need is a new fuse, and a new Sovtek 5AR4 rectifier, and I'll be alright.
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 13
How about getting a Mullard or other NOS 5AR4. It's awesome.

Nov 24, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
How about getting a Mullard or other NOS 5AR4. It's awesome.

Ouch, NOS and student don't mix.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back