My new Bottlehead Foreplay III pre-amp
Aug 23, 2005 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GWN

100+ Head-Fier
I completed a Bottlehead Foreplay III pre-amp kit about a month ago. Just got around to finishing a new base for it. Added an aluminium bottom plate and legs. Overall I am very pleased with this pre-amp. Easy to build with very clear instructions. I'm currently running a 1952 CBS/Hytron OD3 and a pair of CIFTE 12Au7's. The original RCA tubes supplied with the kit were nice sounding put generated quite a bit of tube rush. I've also replaced the generic supplied caps with a couple of Auricaps and an Ansar.

This kit comes highly recommended. I have heard pre-amps costing 3 to 4 times its asking price that don't sound any better.

IMG_0457.jpg

Aug 23, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks. Here is a look at the insides before the mods. At that point the Ansar was installed on the OD3 but the Auricaps were still to replace the two generic caps. This was the first time I used caps by Ansar. I was very impressed. One nice feature of the pre-amp is the ability to pad individual inputs so that your CD player, tuner and phono pre-amp all have the same relative volume when you switch inputs. The sweetest whispers volume on each side of the input selector are mono and have only 10 steps. They could easily be replaced with Goldpoints or Dac's if you need finer steps.

There is also a C4S mod (Camille Cascode Constant Current Sources (C4S) supposed to be released soon.

IMG_0464.jpg

Aug 23, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Absolutely gorgeous!

I've been wanting to try my hand at one of their kits for a while but haven't managed to muster up the cash for it. Seeing posts like yours make the longing that much stronger
smily_headphones1.gif

Nate

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm tempted to build their Seduction phono amp next. It also looks like an interesting project to try. With a couple of Lindhall trannys could even accommodate low output MC's. Anybody at Head-fi using one?

Aug 24, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 9
Looks perfect, man. Your base is far nicer than the clear Alder (imo), and I agree about the feet. Pissah!
wink.gif
Your wiring came out very well, also.

I'm having a fit choosing between the Seduction p-stage and Jim Hagerman's Cornet 2 p-stage, myself. The Hagerman Bugle gets amazing reviews, and what I have seem regarding the Cornet 2 is also very good. But the Seduction is more affordable, and also seems well rated.

If I do go with the Cornet 2, I will build it plate and base style rather than in the suggested Grayline box.

Thanks for the nice pics.

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Nice work on the wiring and base.

I have been itching to hear one since the reports came back that a stock FPIII killed a fully modded FPII, can only lead one to wonder what a fully modded FPIII would sound like............

The Fplay III is on my list of stuff to get when I have room for a stereo again, for now I am stuck with headphones, which isn't too bad of a place to be
600smile.gif

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back