my monitor has issues
Feb 14, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i have another problem. my monitor is making a high pitched wine. when i up the resolution it stops temporarily. then usually comes back. i'm running onboard video, but it did the same while running a 9600 vid card

does it go away when you turn the monitor off? if not, maybe it's a problem with the card. if it is, your monitor isn't well-shielded for EMI. get rid of it asap.

Feb 14, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 27
uzziah: Usual cure for that noise is replacing the flyback transformer.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 14, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #18 of 27
the trinitron crts are the best by a LONG way. my sony g200 cant be beaten by any 17" around :], the refresh is better than most 19" crts.., for example: 120hz @ 800x600 and 100hz @ 1024x768 on a 17".. :] just beautiful colours too

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
The lines (wires) should be barely noticeable... only at absolute max brightness should they be easily apparent.

They're actually pretty apparent if you know where to look. I went through a phase where they bugged me a lot.

But yes, such monitors tend to be very nice.

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
does it go away when you turn the monitor off? if not, maybe it's a problem with the card. if it is, your monitor isn't well-shielded for EMI. get rid of it asap.

yes, it goes off when the monitor is off. right now i can't hear a thing. it seems finicky

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 27
I don't think I'm a big fan of *tron CRTs...Maybe it's just the fact that all the trinitrons I've seen in the past few years have been nearly a decade old, but they suffer from convergance issues. Like, badly. My brother had a nice 19" Trinitron a few years back, I can't recall what that looked like. I suppose I am comparing them to newer shadow mask displays, which have come a long way and are contenders to aperture grille displays. As are newer LCDs.

Feb 15, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #22 of 27
darn it, there's that high pitched whine again. i mean, it's intolerable. i think you all know the sound i'm talking about. right on the edge of hearing. it sounds horrible. i raise the pixel count, and it goes away, but i don't want to have to do that all the time. i'm assuming i've got soem EMI going to, and that's just straight scary.well, i think i'll return this guy for the whine and the two black lines.

suggestions on a cheap/good monitor for me? used/refurbed is ok. this is a 17", and that's fine, but i suppose a good 15" would be ok as well. don't want to spend much over $100, preferably much less.

also, my computer seems to be slowing down more lately. i'm wondering if i should have gone for more processing power than this sempron 2200+? all i'm doing is web surfing (cable connection), and using eac at the same time. humm, anway to tell what's causing the slowdown? i have 512mb ram.

Feb 15, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

darn it, there's that high pitched whine again. i mean, it's intolerable. i think you all know the sound i'm talking about. right on the edge of hearing. it sounds horrible. i raise the pixel count, and it goes away, but i don't want to have to do that all the time. i'm assuming i've got soem EMI going to, and that's just straight scary.well, i think i'll return this guy for the whine and the two black lines.

The wires, IIRC, are grounding wires for the aperture grille. As the grille gets bombarded with high-speed electrons all day, it's good to have it grounded, so that it doesn't collect image-distorting static charge. Sony was indeed the first to use them on their Trinitron line of CRT tubes, but they're now pretty much standard for any professional-grade CRT monitor (yes, those still exist...matter of fact, I'm staring at one right now!
280smile.gif
)

That noise is the CRT equivalent of a prolonged death-rattle. Had an oooold Compaq-branded monitor (relic from the early 90's, no less), and it would do that intermittently, though it got more frequent as time went on. Then one day...poof. Dead. No more whine, but no more picture, either. I'm not sure what component inside the CRT is making that noise (lini's guess of the flyback transformer sounds reasonable), but holistically speaking, your monitor is ready for retirement, or in this case, return.

Quote:

suggestions on a cheap/good monitor for me? used/refurbed is ok. this is a 17", and that's fine, but i suppose a good 15" would be ok as well. don't want to spend much over $100, preferably much less.

I'd look into Viewsonic's E series or A series, they provide pretty good IQ and long life for the money. An E70 can be had online for about $75, and an A70 can be had for the same price, if you don't mind getting a refurb unit. (PriceGrabber is your friend, here)

Quote:

also, my computer seems to be slowing down more lately. i'm wondering if i should have gone for more processing power than this sempron 2200+? all i'm doing is web surfing (cable connection), and using eac at the same time. humm, anway to tell what's causing the slowdown? i have 512mb ram.

Get Ad-Aware Personal and Spybot Search & Destroy, and run both immediately. They're free, and you'll probably notice an immediate speed-up. This kind of gradual slowdown usually means spyware. Also, check your system tray for any unnecessary icons (RealPlayer loader, QuickTime tray icon, AOL loader, and others of that ilk). Removing those can give you a little speedier bootup.

Feb 15, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #24 of 27
what is the "sytem tray" ?
thanks for the advice, i'll put it to good use

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halbyrd
The wires, IIRC, are grounding wires for the aperture grille. As the grille gets bombarded with high-speed electrons all day, it's good to have it grounded, so that it doesn't collect image-distorting static charge. Sony was indeed the first to use them on their Trinitron line of CRT tubes, but they're now pretty much standard for any professional-grade CRT monitor (yes, those still exist...matter of fact, I'm staring at one right now!
280smile.gif
)

That noise is the CRT equivalent of a prolonged death-rattle. Had an oooold Compaq-branded monitor (relic from the early 90's, no less), and it would do that intermittently, though it got more frequent as time went on. Then one day...poof. Dead. No more whine, but no more picture, either. I'm not sure what component inside the CRT is making that noise (lini's guess of the flyback transformer sounds reasonable), but holistically speaking, your monitor is ready for retirement, or in this case, return.

I'd look into Viewsonic's E series or A series, they provide pretty good IQ and long life for the money. An E70 can be had online for about $75, and an A70 can be had for the same price, if you don't mind getting a refurb unit. (PriceGrabber is your friend, here)

Get Ad-Aware Personal and Spybot Search & Destroy, and run both immediately. They're free, and you'll probably notice an immediate speed-up. This kind of gradual slowdown usually means spyware. Also, check your system tray for any unnecessary icons (RealPlayer loader, QuickTime tray icon, AOL loader, and others of that ilk). Removing those can give you a little speedier bootup.

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

what is the "sytem tray" ?
thanks for the advice, i'll put it to good use

Look in the lower-right corner of the screen. See that box with the clock and some eensy icons? That's the systray. You can right-click the icons (and the clock, incidentally), to get a list of actions to do with the programs they represent. Choosing "disable" or unchecking "run when windows starts" are generally good options, though some might make you launch their parent programs to do this. Really, you'll probably want to do this for everything but your vidcard and sndcard driver applets, and your anti-virus scanner (please tell me you have one). Most programs don't need the tray-resident icon to be there for them to run, though there are a few that do. Make sure you've closed all running applications when you do this, as a few programs just plop an icon in the tray while they're running to tell you that they're there (itunes and winamp spring to mind).

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halbyrd
Look in the lower-right corner of the screen. See that box with the clock and some eensy icons? That's the systray. You can right-click the icons (and the clock, incidentally), to get a list of actions to do with the programs they represent. Choosing "disable" or unchecking "run when windows starts" are generally good options, though some might make you launch their parent programs to do this. Really, you'll probably want to do this for everything but your vidcard and sndcard driver applets, and your anti-virus scanner (please tell me you have one). Most programs don't need the tray-resident icon to be there for them to run, though there are a few that do. Make sure you've closed all running applications when you do this, as a few programs just plop an icon in the tray while they're running to tell you that they're there (itunes and winamp spring to mind).

thanks. i thought that's what you meant. yes, i have virus protection. advice much appreciated

also, off topic, but....... i "loaded optimized defaults" in bios. is that right? or should i "load fail-safe defualts". i'm not having any instability. no crashes yet (crosses fingers), so i figure i'm good. yes? i don't think i'll consider overclocking for awhile

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

thanks. i thought that's what you meant. yes, i have virus protection. advice much appreciated

also, off topic, but....... i "loaded optimized defaults" in bios. is that right? or should i "load fail-safe defualts". i'm not having any instability. no crashes yet (crosses fingers), so i figure i'm good. yes? i don't think i'll consider overclocking for awhile

lookit all this free tech support...gee, i must be feeling extra-generous today
biggrin.gif

Fail-safes are just that, they're "safe" settings to fall back on if something critical "fails". Unless something gets seriously FUBARed (i.e.: blank screen, fails ramcheck, beeps and dies, etc), you shouldn't ever have to use those settings.

Overclocking a little bit usually doesn't hurt anything, but there are exceptions. Also, the definition of "a little bit" is highly variable, according to the type and conditon of your hardware. You're better off not bothering, usually, as the performance gains are often not worth the stability/lifespan losses. In fact, reckless OCing will likely produce the need to use those failsafe settings, or the need to purchase replacements for your burnt-out hardware.
biggrin.gif
Plus, that burnt-silicon smell is really hard to get out of the carpet.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back