My life as audiophile (boring)
Jul 28, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 61
great story pat. too bad your second system went haywire but i'm sure your third attempt will, as they say, be the charm.

keep it up.

Jul 28, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took out all my life savings ($30 000) from my bank and started spending it on audio.

this pretty much sums up patrick in a nutshell. and is probably what most of us would like to do, if we were bold or reckless enough to.

Jul 28, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #18 of 61
patrick is infamous on these boards... i dunno to take him seriously or not sometimes. he's like an enigma! AHHHHHHHHHHHH HE'S MESSING WITH MY MIND

i kid, but he does make interesting threads =]

Jul 28, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick...was spending your life savings worth it?

Yes, because I wanted to find the truth and found it.

Quote:

Have you gotten $30,000 worth of satisfaction from the process?

It's not about the money. A more expensive system sounds worse to me because I can't "enjoy" it for fear of the downgrade when it eventually breaks. A cheap system that sounds great is what I want, then I can easily replace it when it breaks.

The more you own the more you can lose.

Quote:

If so, what has brought you the most enjoyment?

Nordost Valhalla power cords, ERS Paper and Magix levitation feet. They are all that matter to me. The electronics are just devices to make the tweaks work.

Quote:

Would you do it all again?
No agenda with the question, just interested in your thoughts.

If I didn't have any audio system right now, I wouldn't need to, because I already found the truth.

Jul 28, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #20 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this pretty much sums up patrick in a nutshell. and is probably what most of us would like to do, if we were bold or reckless enough to.

Probably. But I doubt many would be bold (as you put it, more like stupid in my opinion) to tinker with their $xxxx gear.

I've thought about taking a look into my gear, but what's the point really? Sure, tweaks are great, but to take it to this extent is just ruining stuff.

However, as long as you believe in the change Patrick... by all means, continue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IA more expensive system sounds worse to me because I can't "enjoy" it for fear of the downgrade when it eventually breaks. A cheap system that sounds great is what I want, then I can easily replace it when it breaks..

So, why buy the expensive Cary and Krell stuff? Surely you could have found the same truth experimenting with cheaper components and gotten the same enjoyment out of it?

And no remorse or regret after spending $30.000 on something that eventually you totally screwed up? Is there some kind of syndrome with a name after this?

Jul 28, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #21 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
It's not about the money. A more expensive system sounds worse to me because I can't "enjoy" it for fear of the downgrade when it eventually breaks. A cheap system that sounds great is what I want, then I can easily replace it when it breaks.

The more you own the more you can lose.

Wow Patrick, this is by far the most ''down to earth''/ logical post I've ever read from you, I totally agree with you 100%. Mind if I put it in my sig ?

Jul 28, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Patrick, this is by far the most ''down to earth''/ logical post I've ever read from you, I totally agree with you 100%. Mind if I put it in my sig ?

How is it logical when he spent $30.000 on his system which he killed with his own hands?

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless
How is it logical when he spent $30.000 on his system which he killed with his own hands?

I'm not saying that his actions are logical at all, spending 30 grand on audio is quite crazy BUT I'm just saying that his idea of a ''budget rig'' (compared to what ? 15-20 grand... granted that's what's left worth in his system now) to achieve the same level of truth in the listener's perceived music, is great. I mean, he knows what an expensive rig sounds like now, if he can get it to sound the same but for 2-3 times less money, than that's perfect for him.

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #24 of 61
That might not be logical to you, truth be told it isn't too logical to me either, but he was talking about the post he quoted, which did make a lot of sense, and is why I'm hesitant to but anything expensive.

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #26 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you enjoy more: ers paper or trolling?

I don't consider Patrick a troll at all. A character, yes. A troll, no.

Patrick, hope you find the ultimate sound you're looking for. I sounds like you're a chronic tweaker though: )

I'm with you on the expensive to replace concerns. When I was building a more expensive system, the cost just to have each of the corresponding components be up to snuff really sunk in. And that was before even considering the replacement cost when built.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

I don't mind.

Quote:

I'm not saying that his actions are logical at all, spending 30 grand on audio is quite crazy BUT I'm just saying that his idea of a ''budget rig'' (compared to what ? 15-20 grand... granted that's what's left worth in his system now) to achieve the same level of truth in the listener's perceived music, is great. I mean, he knows what an expensive rig sounds like now, if he can get it to sound the same but for 2-3 times less money, than that's perfect for him.

After a few days of tweaking it seems like my cheaper system is little better than it was before it broke. The flavor is different, but overall it is little better! I have removed about $24 000 of components from my system. I was having daisy chained power conditioners and tweaks for them. I was also using Cary transport with Valhalla digital AES/EBU cable, it made a small difference. Computer + Toslink sounds good enough.

I sliced open one of my Valhalla power cords because 1 conductor per signal sounds the best, the other conductors inside the cable have always been left unused. For the system I'm using now, only 1.5m of Valhalla power cord is needed. I have 6 meters.

The tweaks I did was:

1) Star grounding with Valhalla power cord.
2) Isolation between left and right channels of amp with Magix levitation feet, power cords and AC filtering (separate Isozones of Premier Power Plant).
3) AC filtering between amp and DAC.
4) Shorter Nordost Valhalla power cords.
5) Replaced Valhalla interconnect with a shorter Valkyrja speaker wire. Removed XLR connectors and hardwired.
6) Added Feet of Silence + metal plate under the Magix for amp.
7) Made a triple layer ERS Paper shielding tube for DAC1's Valhalla power cord.
8) Accurately balanced each amp module on top of the Magix by using pressure from cable pulling from interconnects and power cord wiring.

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #30 of 61
Spending your ALL of your life savings on it.

Well, you just aren't a very smart person.

Did it ever occur to you, that covering everything in ERS paper doesn't do anything? And that maybe you have more money than sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back