My haphazard journey into turning a Sennheiser HD 800 into a HD 800S with the SuperDupont mod and Paint
May 12, 2016 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

dxanex

1000+ Head-Fier
As the title suggests, I had on older pair of HD 800's and decided to attempt to turn it into (almost) an HD 800S. Click video to see how I did it using the "SuperDupont" mod. It came out better than I expected, and I'm very pleased with the results! 
L3000.gif

Special thanks to Tyll's article and video as a jumping off point for this tutorial. Also a big thanks to Sorrodje for his work at tweaking the mod. The entire point of this video was only to show that even a non-technical person like myself can install this mod. 

*Full disassembly of the HD 800 is not required to install the SuperDupont mod, I've only done it so that it would be easier to paint the headphones for aesthetics only.

May 12, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 62
This is actually the work of another member "sorrodje", who should get credit since he created the mod. Your a bit late to the party

May 13, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 62
Yup my work is under creative Common license and necessary mentions should appear.

Glad you enjoyed it @dxanex. Take care to read carefully my how to though. The SD resonator needs to be positioned more carefully for optimal performance.

Moreover there's no necessity to dismantle the hd800 to apply the mod. Just remove dust covers and you'll have full access to the screen.

May 13, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 62
Yup my work is under creative Common license and necessary mentions should appear.

Glad you enjoyed it @dxanex. Take care to read carefully my how to though. The SD resonator needs to be positioned more carefully for optimal performance.

Moreover there's no necessity to dismantle the hd800 to apply the mod. Just remove dust covers and you'll have full access to the screen.

You're absolutely right, and thanks a lot, Sorrodje. Apologies, when I uploaded the video it was very late here and I had every intention to give credit after linking to the Inneerfedelity article. I understand that this is probably "old hat" to the true stars of head-fi, I just did it for myself and thought I'd share a video just in case a few people may be interested in seeing it done. 
beerchug.gif

May 13, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 62
You're welcome. No offense taken.  

Just take care to pull a bit the creato ring to make it fit flush to the top of the hole in your HD800. Then,  the bottom of the resonator is pushed at the bottom of the home and the SD is fully extended with the creatology ring flush to the top. it makes a substantial and measured difference. 

Tyll wasn't precise enough on that point. 

And it's definitely not necessary to take off anything else than dust covers to install the mod. Maybe without pads it's easier but not mandatory. :wink: 

May 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 62
  You're welcome. No offense taken.  

Just take care to pull a bit the creato ring to make it fit flush to the top of the hole in your HD800. Then,  the bottom of the resonator is pushed at the bottom of the home and the SD is fully extended with the creatology ring flush to the top. it makes a substantial and measured difference. 

Tyll wasn't precise enough on that point. 

And it's definitely not necessary to take off anything else than dust covers to install the mod. Maybe without pads it's easier but not mandatory. :wink: 

Thanks, and I guess I should have stressed more that the only reason for the full disassembly was simply because I wanted to paint the headphones stealth black and NOT because of the mod. I have never been able to find another video showing a full disassembly of an HD 800 so I included it.

To install the mod you really need't take anything apart. As far as I can tell the creatology ring is flush with the top. When I placed them, it felt like it was touching the bottom but still tall enough to reach the top of the Sennheiser ring. I'm curious if adding one extra layer of creatology foam would change the sound more?

May 13, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 62
Honestly, I tried different sizes and the 2mm one offers good results and is still easy to work with to make the resonator.  I Still think there's some room for improvements but Dunno it will still stay easy to DIY , to produce in small series and to remove in case of.  Let's say the current State od the SD resonator is a good compromise. 

Hope that makes sense.  

May 14, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 62
Whoa, this IS interesting! I have a HD800 and I'm quite tempted to do this mod as well......and paint the sucker as well since I don't intend to sell it off......ever!
biggrin.gif
  As it is, I rate it just as highly as my HEK and K812 (which I love as well).....the mod might just push it pass the other two! Only snag is.....that 6kHz peak that irritates others doesn't bother me one bit.

May 14, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 62
Whoa, this IS interesting! I have a HD800 and I'm quite tempted to do this mod as well......and paint the sucker as well since I don't intend to sell it off......ever!:D   As it is, I rate it just as highly as my HEK and K812 (which I love as well).....the mod might just push it pass the other two! Only snag is.....that 6kHz peak that irritates others doesn't bother me one bit.

The 6kHz never bothered me a bit either...BUT the benefits of the mod was still very apparent to me. The warmth and added weight to the low end is quite nice, after a few days living with it and I wouldn't want to go back. I've owned and demoed several flagships during my head-fi journey. I've owned the HD-800 twice because I always knew they were special. These are keepers for sure.

May 15, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 62
Congratulations on your successful installation. 

I did similar with mine and agree with @Sorrodje. Make sure you push the paper all the way to the bottom and the black ring plush with the top. 

May 31, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 62
Probably not if you're not already convinced to keep it. 

My Mod is a way to improve/optimize the HD800 if you already like it. If you' don't like it , my mod won't change this so don't take the risk to void the warranty. 

My 2 cents. 

May 31, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #13 of 62
Firstly thank you for the mod :)
I really really like the headphones. Also find it a bit harsh sometimes and read your mod can smoothen the high ends. But I'm a bit clumsy and worried if I might break or crack the drivers :frowning2:

May 31, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #14 of 62
Definitely simple to install but i understand you. I was afraid the first time but it's easy.

I did à vid last week-end : It shows exactly how I do it and how it goes.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydot90j8gmo[/VIDEO]

May 31, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 62

Users who are viewing this thread

Back