My GSX1200 and PC38X together need a little more volume
May 19, 2021 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MrDowntempo

New Head-Fier
Maybe the computer audio forum is where this goes since it's primarily about that but... well lemme explain.
I've got the Sennheiser PC38X for use on my PC. They're known to be not very difficult to drive, but I wanted at least a little more juice than my motherboard could produce. I ended up getting the Sennheiser GSX1200 headphone amp because of its superior 7.1 virtual surround. It was actually cheaper than the GSX1000 which most people get, and that's probably why too. Both the GSX1200/1000 are very similar and known to not be very powerful, still I expected it to be enough to drive my easy to drive P38X. While it is better than my motherboard, I could really stand to hear a little more volume out of these things. I could certainly get a more powerful amp, but then I'd miss out on the superior 7.1 virtual surround sound the GSX1200 provides. Is there something like a preamp for it I could get to juice it up a bit more? Actually... now that I think about it, the GSX1200 gets its auidio from the PC over USB, so a preamp probably isn't possible unless there's such a thing as an inline USB preamp. Are there any other suggestions on improving my final output? Adding a 2nd amp or something like that? Or a post-amp, lol?

May 19, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 8
May 19, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 8
That combo is the money-saving option. If you have the cash, get a Schiit Asgard 3:

https://www.schiit.com/products/asgard

LOL, Fair enuff! I could probably go for something in between. Actually... instead of the Asgard 3, wouldn't one of Shiit's headphone amps without the DAC and stuff be a better option? Like their Magni or Vali be a better option for me?

May 19, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 8
That combo is the money-saving option. If you have the cash, get a Schiit Asgard 3:

https://www.schiit.com/products/asgard
Wow! Thanks for leading more towards Schiit's products. I started doing a lil' research for them and found this Zeos video where he specifically mentions recommending the Shiit Magni Heresy to someone who was complaining about the GSX1000 not having enough volume. Z did admit he recommended it over the Mani 3+ because of the color scheme matching the GSX, but that the to Magni's are really comparable, so that's what I think I'll end up going with :)

May 19, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Wow! Thanks for leading more towards Schiit's products. I started doing a lil' research for them and found this Zeos video where he specifically mentions recommending the Shiit Magni Heresy to someone who was complaining about the GSX1000 not having enough volume. Z did admit he recommended it over the Mani 3+ because of the color scheme matching the GSX, but that the to Magni's are really comparable, so that's what I think I'll end up going with :)

Well, if cleaner background sounds make a difference in game playing, then the Class-A specifications of the Asgard 3 will probably work better than the Magni Heresy. Otherwise, the Heresy will still work fine in most game settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back