My first setup and a question
Nov 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blackmesashadow

New Head-Fier
Hi! I recently bought my first setup. Beyerdynamic t1, Musical Fidelity M1 hpa , Hegel hd20 and a supra rca cable. Since i live in a rather small town i wasn't able to listen to the gear before i bought it... But the sound feels incredible and i'm still in the breaking in phase.

Now the question... will i get even better sound if i buy a higher quality optical cable?

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi! I recently bought my first setup. Beyerdynamic t1, Musical Fidelity M1 hpa , Hegel hd20 and a supra rca cable. Since i live in a rather small town i wasn't able to listen to the gear before i bought it... But the sound feels incredible and i'm still in the breaking in phase.

Now the question... will i get even better sound if i buy a higher quality optical cable?

Chances are spending more on an optical cable will not improve audio quality.
If you need a longer optical cable or want to buy one with the word "Premium" in it's title, try buying here.
This site is were I prefer to buy my cables.
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10229

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 5
You might get some placebo effect, but otherwise, no, not really. I'm not being sarcastic about the placebo effect -- if it really sounds better to you because it was expensive, then that's an improvement IMO. Might even be worth the money if you have cash to spare.

But there's no logical reason that such a cable would make any objective difference. I download my music off the internet through miles and miles of non-audiophile cables, and it sounds fine. Optic cable is just another cable with 1s and 0s going through it. As long as what goes in comes out the other end, it makes no difference. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Welcome to head-fi
Sorry about your wallet.

There's a lot of debate about cables in general around this forum. I'm biased to I won't try to impose my mentality.
Some optical cables are not that expensive, I suggest you to try a not-expensive one and see if you can hear differences. 
I think you have already a nice set up. Once you get up to a certain level in the headphone world, one headphone is not necessarily better than another.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 5
Thx for the advice! Although i use a pretty long optical cable now (5 meters) perhaps it's worth atleast getting a shorter cable?

By the way i really dig this forum seems to have alot of active users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back