My first pair of full size cans - not Skullcandy / Dr. Dre!
Dec 12, 2010 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

googleli

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry for crappy photos... It's by the iphone 4... But I am sure you would stop complaining about the picture quality once you know that I am using the very same iphone 4 to drive these phones...

So far I think the ED10 straight out of iphone 4 is actually acceptable, except the treble is a bit strange to me. I tried connecting my iphone 4 to the RSA Black Bird and then the ED10 - it sounds stranger at "High" setting of the Black Bird, but sounds less strange at "mid" setting. Tomorrow I will try out how it sounds from my Hifiman 801 (my 801 is at office).

Overall I would say I am more used to the sound of my UE18 Pro... I will stop listening to my 18Pro for a couple of days trying to get used to the sound of the ED10... And maybe it's time to get some desktop rig...

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 24
Dude.  Really?

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 24
Happens that the retailer in HK still has a pair left... I know you guys in the States have been waiting for it some time...

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Happens that the retailer in HK still has a pair left... I know you guys in the States have been waiting for it some time...

Way out of my league.

Also, my freaking SR80i's improve with a simple portable amp (E7) - it's hard to believe that you're not even getting close to what those cans deserve - drive wise - with the iPhone.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 24
That's an excellent pair of headphones you got there to say the least!  However, I don't think your iphone can properly drive them so they aren't sounding their sonically best.  While they may sound good now, to really bring out their sonic brilliance you'll need a high quality headphone amplifier.  Once you acquire one and pair it with these guys you won't touch your UE 18s again!

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 24
Using these with an iPhone ....LOL please.

Like using Dynaudio Confidence speakers with a Rat Shack receiver and 1980's CD player !

Get a proper headphone amp/DAC. Match high quality with high quality. BTW mine were ordered ....to be home at the en of January.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 24
Thanks. Is the Burson 160 a high quality amp which matches the ED10? I am considering it since many people seem to recommend. Many thanks.

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 24
first pair?! wow. that is a giant leap. i wish i could do the same. i'm just using, semi-$100 cans right now and hope to make it into the high-end 'phones later on.
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
first pair?! wow. that is a giant leap. i wish i could do the same. i'm just using, semi-$100 cans right now and hope to make it into the high-end 'phones later on.
wink.gif

Ah, but don't forget: he is already using the UE18 Pro.

Quote:
Overall I would say I am more used to the sound of my UE18 Pro... I will stop listening to my 18Pro for a couple of days trying to get used to the sound of the ED10... And maybe it's time to get some desktop rig...

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 24
I got some HD tracks today and listening to 24/96 out of my Hifiman / Computer (through foobar 96Hz) is just so amazing, I never heard that difference between normal CD quality stuff and 24/96 stuff so clear, even on my UE18 Pro.

Question: Is there any DAC out there with HDMI input and can decode 24/96 or even 192 stuff to analog out to amp? Many thanks.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Thanks. Is the Burson 160 a high quality amp which matches the ED10? I am considering it since many people seem to recommend. Many thanks.

From my personal experience, this baby (ha-160) can drive almost anything...you should give it a try sometime. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 24
Thanks dude - Has anyone else tried using Burson 160 for Ultrasone headphones? Is it a good match? Many thanks.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 24
Did I read this correctly? Your first pair of full size headphones were some ED10s?!?!?! Good lord! Why was I not raised as a member of your family!

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
dub Beatz: once again, in case you missed it the first time around--OP's a UE18 user, so an Ed 10 is an appropriate first pair of full-sized.

I still don't know if I would consider the ED 10s "appropriate" for a first pair lol. UE18s are obviously what you could consider an IEM equivalent, but my point is I wouldn't go from a Hyabusa to an M3 GTS especially if I had no experience driving a car. To one his own, it's just comical. I envy the OP nontheless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back