My first head-fi purchase. MDR v6
Dec 23, 2005 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mikee898

Head-Fier
Hi everyone. After much research and reading on these forums and other websites, I decided on the mdr v6s for a portable, closed headphone with decent sound quality at under 70ish dollars.

Prior to this I had a pair of mdr v150s, just to give you an idea of what I am comparing to.

I feel that the differences between the 150s and the v6s are always rather noticeable, but usually are more greatly distinguishable during songs that are simple. When I listen to an acoustic song with just a guitar and a voice, it is so magically clear and crisp and lifelike, compared to the veiled sound of the 150s. However, in songs where there is alot going on, I find the difference is less significant, although it is still there.

I would prefer if the soundstage was a little more. If I could feel a little more distanced from the music, I think this is where sennheiser shines? If I am not mistaken. Something more laid back would be nice, but I am really impressed at how clear and crisp everything is. Also, although I can definitely hear some fuzz behind some of my mp3s, most of them dont have any noticeable artifacts or antyhing with these cans, for which I am happy.

Comfort and isolation wise I am very very impressed. I barely feel them on my head, and cant hear people talking to me at all. I am excited to see how they fare on a plane I am taking this sunday.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase, and thank you all for everything.

Also, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for EQing these headphones, and if there were any mods I should know about.

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 11
nice enjoy your new cans... O and BTW, I wouldn't call your old v150 "veil" "Muddy" is more of the word you're looking for
icon10.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 11
I bought the Sony MDR-V6s to play out of my iRiver H120 and didn't like it. They were my first full size cans and I wasn't impressed. The next time I go for full size cans it'll probably be the Sennheiser HD 600/650 or the AKG K 701 with an portable amp.
icon10.gif
But I think I'll really need to save for that purchase.

Dec 24, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
I hope you enjoy yours. I really like how mine sound, even though they are like entry-level sounding. It is still clean, crisp nice sound.

well you would enjoy the V6 even more since you own the v600's which aren't as good as the V6
icon10.gif

BTW. how do they comapre to ur triports?

Dec 24, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 11
Wow, after having listened to my v6s alot, now listening to my speakers is kind of a pain. Every note is drowned out by muddy bass, and its all just annoying haha. I have never noticed this at all before. They are very unclear. I need to go grab my headphones from upstairs!

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR
well you would enjoy the V6 even more since you own the v600's which aren't as good as the V6
icon10.gif

BTW. how do they comapre to ur triports?

They are a BIG improvement over the Triports, I think the Triports are WAY overpriced for the durability, construction quality and sound quality that comes with it. Only thing I like about it is the pads which are very comfortable.
The Triports are just really boomy one-noted bass and the drivers only focus on the low-mid frequencies and for having the most boom bass. Bass extension isn't that good at all on the Triports.
The V600's are pretty flat on the whole frequency and is crisp, clear sounding all around. Some what bright and really good clear bass, the mid's are good too. Isn't that much bass if your looking for having a can that thumps bass like a huge subwoofer.
So overall V600's are great headphones for the price and great entry-level sound that won't disappoint you. But you can't compare them to real high-end headphones but you get what you pay for.

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikee898
Also, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for EQing these headphones, and if there were any mods I should know about.

Depending on your tonal preferences, you might want to cut the midbass a little.. the V6 can get pretty thumpy. Then again, that's what makes them fun!

The V6 has sharp, grainy highs.. you may not notice them yet, but eventually, I think you will. Cutting them might help prevent listener fatigue, although someone else will have to suggest specific frequencies.

This isn't exactly a mod.. but when using the V6 for long periods, it would pin my ears back, and one of them would get sore as hell. (This is one reason why I switched to the Sennheiser HD280.) Stuffing something behind your ear to keep it propped out, such as a wad of tissue, helps a lot. Of course, some people don't HAVE this problem, and if you're one of them, then this information is useless to you
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 11
You can replace the stock pleather earpads with the Beyer velour pads, which are much more comfortable, enabling you to listen for longer periods of time.

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 11
I really find the comfort level on these headphones to be wonderful, so I dont really need to do any comfort mods right now. The more I listen to these the more I like them. I am very happy. Woot. I can almost taste music, its weird. haha. Its kind of like what music sounds like when I am let's say... in other states of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back