My father was admitted to ER. I have some liability questions.
Mar 27, 2009 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
My father has ulcers & colitis.. He cannot hold any solid food down, so he went to the hospitals ER.. He has been there a week, & they are talking about releasing him tomorrow.. My fathers condition is getting worse. He still has pain, blood in his stool, can't keep solid food down, & sounds very weak.. Just today, I found out he was using a catheter cause he's not able to go on his own.. Why would you release someone who is in worse condition, then they were before being admitted?? Then the nurse asks who will be there to take care of him?? I work.. I can just spend 48hrs a week with him. I can't always be there.. My mother (divorced), can't live at the house.. She has a home & a life of her own.. I get the impression it's a 24hr a day job??

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 23
First, I'm sorry to hear your father is having trouble. I hope he'll be able to recover, soon.

This partially depends on his medical coverage - does he have private coverage or Medi-Cal? You should check with them to see if they offer assisted living or payment for in-home care. If it's Medi-Cal or government assistance, there's a complex calculus about whether he has to contribute payment for care. Then there's a whole other mess of options depending on the level of care needed and so on.

Probably the best thing to do is hunt down one of the social workers at the hospital (there should be one around) and get some recommendations for care. They usually know all the options and can guide you.

I've helped out with a few elderly and sick relatives - we've always gone for in-home care as long as possible. They're usually much happier to be at home, especially if they have pets. Though homes aren't necessarily that bad. We had my aunt in one when in-home care was no longer possible and she was actually happier there. She liked the other people there, as opposed to mostly watching TV at home.

Anyhow, I'd recommend collaring a social worker ASAP, then going over the options with your father. There should be a way for him to get the help he needs, but there are a bunch of variables depending on medical condition, insurance, income, assets, etc.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 23
you can contest the discharge if you think it's unsafe. also, you can see if your pops qualifies for a home health aide. have you talked with the social worker?

hope things work out.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 23
A discharge generally means there is nothing else the doctors they can really do for him. Rather than risk having him rest everyday in a facility that contains thousands of other diseases, it may be safer for him to recover at home. A similar condition was offered to my dad when he had leukemia after the doctors tried every treatment they could. He was sent home to spend his last months with us instead.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 23
Since you are an active head fier I would suggust some nice easily wearable cans and some tunes for his psyche. Whatever you are going to go through with hospitalizations and health issues with your father, do the things you know how to do best, provide the support you can without tearing yourself apart in the process.

Participating in the unwinding of life is the most difficult thing we will do as humans. Hospitals and the medical system offer some tough choices, usually none that fully meet the needs of patient and family. Support structures are ever so important to you and your father at this time. Find out as mentioned in other posts what all of your options are and in the meantime give him all the love and support you can. There are simply no easy answers to these issues.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 23
Sorry to hear about your father, his illness and the problems following it. May he recover, soon!
I find it disturbing that they release him from the hospital when he's that ill, without any solutions on how to care for him at home. Your medical care system is totally different than ours, so can't help much on that area.

All the best!

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 23
A lot of good advice here. Most likely the reason the hospital is releasing him is his current symptoms are "chronic" in nature and not likely to improve through a longer hospital stay. I'd definitely talk to the social worker/discharge planner and see if they can set up some type of home-health care.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 23
Are you asking whether the hospital would be legally liable complications arising from his discharge?

If that's your question, I would advise you to talk with a lawyer who does medical malpractice in California. You don't want to be getting legal advise from random anonymous people on internet forums.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 23
The best advice you received, has been posted several times, contact the social worker for your options. The second best advice is DO NOT accept legal advice from anonymous internet posts. It is a tough thing you have to deal with, and I wish you and your Dad the best.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 23
So sorry to hear about your Father, hope you can get everything worked out.
Aloha
Headphile808

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 23
talk to his doctor and discuss his discharge plans. it appears you're only
talking to the ancillary people. he does not need to sign his discharge plan.
the hospital will probably send in a social worker to discuss any support your father may need.

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 23
Sorry about your father's condition and as others have indicated I hope he gets well soon. Do not despair, one day at a time, and do read his medical policy as well as talking with a social worker.

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 23
I'm guessing your father doesn't have "ulcers and colitis" but "ulcerative colitis". There's not a lot they can do for him in hospital in that case. Maybe they think he's starting to go into a remission phase. Talk to people.

In the bigger picture, it sounds like your life is going to really change. It's exhausting to have to take care of an ill parent, but ongoing care is so expensive it's not really practical for most people either. I've had to go through this once, but I was lucky to have support from other family members. Take care of yourself, it's really stressful.

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 23
Ask for a social service consult at the hospital. They (the social workers) will assist you in making the transistion from the floor to either a stepdown rehab/extended care facility or home with VNS (visiting nursing services). You are not alone, they will (and should) do everything to assist in getting him home safely. Good luck,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back