My experience with different music players.
Sep 19, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #106 of 205
I'm unsure how you came to that conclusion. No filter is right because we have chopped off the information anyway, and Nyquist condition is a limit tending to infinity condition. Reality is we window it and different windows are technically different. But chances are, the dac you have also has a sinc oversampler, and often likely to be less precise than the ones generated through hqplayer. Also hqplayer does not have just one sinc filter, there is flexibility to choose a lot of filters depending upon your preferences.

Sadly, foobar2000 doesn't give me any sort of enjoyment, let alone an "authentic" one. My piece of cake is wtfplay. You can have yours.

Unfortunately. my DAC which is Schiit Bifrost Multibit keeps all original samples by the Closed-form filter.

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #107 of 205
Unfortunately. my DAC which is Schiit Bifrost Multibit keeps all original samples by the Closed-form filter.

Cool! In that case you can ignore hqplayer. But I recommend other players you can try in place of foobar if you're interested

1. PlayPCMwin (use in wasapi exclusive mode)
2. Winyl or musicbee (preferably asio)
3. Wtfplay

None of the three over sample the music, but still sound better than foobar in my setup. Make sure you install the necessary drivers for your dac too.

PlayPCMwin is the easiest effort and good sound quality. Wtfplay is very good sound quality but takes considerable effort to set up.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #108 of 205
I found the ultimative music player in terms of sound quality for Windows by accident.

Music Center from Sony. I only installed it to upgrade my ZX500 but then looked into its pretty awesome.

I noticed it lets you choose which audio system you want to use (ASIO/WASAPI) and detects (only tested with Sony's) when you use a DAC and offers additional features for them.

They also built in features I never use (DSEE) but included the EQ from the Walkman i like =)

I think even without Sony products this player is worth a look

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #109 of 205
Cool! In that case you can ignore hqplayer. But I recommend other players you can try in place of foobar if you're interested

3. Wtfplay

None of the three over sample the music, but still sound better than foobar in my setup. Make sure you install the necessary drivers for your dac too.

PlayPCMwin is the easiest effort and good sound quality. Wtfplay is very good sound quality but takes considerable effort to set up.
Hi mate,

I get this message when I try to install the PlayPCMwin.

1600512177020.png

Downloaded the installation file from think link https://sourceforge.net/projects/playpcmwin/

Any idea what is the problem?

Thanks/

Sep 19, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #112 of 205

3. Wtfplay

You can try my setup: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/i-f...s-on-computer-with-bifrost-multibit-1.942663/

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #113 of 205
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #116 of 205
Well I guess I was a little quick to conclude PlayPCMwin lacks impact, it was actually the secondary system, mainly the dac I used that was lacking, just that it was masked by the noise in musicbee and PlayPCMwin showed it as is. Went back to my primary systems and PlayPCMwin has all the grunt and kick, and the effortless details with all headphones, including the urbanite. Not quite as good as wtfplay but it's very good. I forgot that I never tried nx4 on wtfplay - it is actually a little muted sounding on a good source.

Ulilith is just as expected. Forward treble hits. Just not as obnoxiously harsh as on the topping + urbanite xl but still quite forward, and cleanliness is retained. Can get fatiguing quite quickly. The threshold time counter just ticks a bit slower here.

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #117 of 205
Update: also I can hear noise band whenever I have content around 8khz when using PlayPCMwin, I think this also affects the low end a little, especially if the hit comes in around the 8khz band together with the bass (guessing this must be USB frame noise 1/125us). This did not happen with Wtfplay with the same system and wtfplay was all round noticeably better, so this is unlikely to be a complete fault of the dac, and has happened with all DACs I own (though I do see that a better dac should have thought and fixed this). Wonder what is happening here! Is PlayPCMwin likely playing around with the usb output power profile too? In fact this particular issue wasn't distinctly audible even with other players despite them having a bevy of other noise. Is it something relating to how the spread of noise affects the analog section, like if it's a single noise band, it being more reactive/unstable than if it were a wide noise band? My supra usb cable also had a similar but far worse effect and caused a bootleggish sound signature. I'm assuming it's something related to a specific noise profile, might be similar or different to the above. I have tried everything right now using either stock groove cable or uptone uspcb. I'll try to pair up supra with PlayPCMwin and see if the effect compounds or nulls or modulates into something esle.

Is there a known way to get this fixed? PlayPCMwin seems to come eerily close to fixing windows audio for me, this particular issue aside. I'm thinking of a simple regenerator or a 8khz notch filter in the ground plane of the data line. I think going external power would also help.

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #118 of 205
Manuel have you reconsidered abandoning Windows as a playback system and transitioning to a single board computer controlled over local network?

Sep 20, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #119 of 205
Manuel have you reconsidered abandoning Windows as a playback system and transitioning to a single board computer controlled over local network?

Yes I have but not computer controlled, but rather headless, on my Allo sparky. Finally got decent understanding on how to get my power supply done too. Was coding a little bit for the playlist manager lately. Want to take it slow and steady. I took a while off to learn analog design with fair amount of attention to detail.

I got recommended this to be used as a reference for coding in alsa : https://gist.github.com/ghedo/963382/815c98d1ba0eda1b486eb9d80d9a91a81d995283

I actually abandoned music for last few months mostly using my phone + uapp, only last week I got back to trying the few suggestions I got recommended here to see how much variations I can spot. I'm mostly done with computer audio playback.

I just found the type of deviations, and possible causations interesting to note.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #120 of 205

Or no computer?

DSC_1276.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back