My DIY electrostatic headphones
Jun 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,411 of 4,061
Ohh I get it now, thanks :)

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #1,412 of 4,061
  Also, I would like to solicit criticism for this stator design.  It has slots rather than holes, and I made it simply to cut down on machining time.  On my CNC, it took over 20 mins to cut each stator with holes.  With this design, it took less than 10 mins.  How might it affect the sound produced?

Thanks,
OO

Slots don't work well for me. I did roughly the same for stators, and it was abysmally terrible. It takes "no bass" to a whole new level. I have no idea why. My test was done by replacing stators and nothing else, even used the old diaphragm so the test was controlled and nothing else was going on.

Here is what mine looked like

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,413 of 4,061

Slots don't work well for me. I did roughly the same for stators, and it was abysmally terrible. It takes "no bass" to a whole new level. I have no idea why. My test was done by replacing stators and nothing else, even used the old diaphragm so the test was controlled and nothing else was going on.

Here is what mine looked like

I can't really see what's wrong.  But I guess the open area might be too much.

If I were to do it, I would make the slots much smaller than the bars.

Wachara C.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #1,414 of 4,061
Hi,

I've made the amp for about a year now. 

More pictures can be seen from my photo album: http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/10437/user_id/154445

I hope my work might inspire somebody here. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Wachara C.

Hello,

This amp may have been dicussed later in the thread, but I wonder if there are boards and transformer available from somewhere. Or maybe an even better, simple DIY amp design?

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,415 of 4,061
And I wonder how it stacks up against the good ol' T1

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #1,417 of 4,061

Hello,

This amp may have been dicussed later in the thread, but I wonder if there are boards and transformer available from somewhere. Or maybe an even better, simple DIY amp design?

The amp is already as easy as it can be built.  I hard wired the amp in just about one afternoon.

If you want other, better designs, you can go with Dr. Gilmore's.  His KGSSHV, for example,  is an excellent amp, and it's pretty easy to build too.

And I wonder how it stacks up against the good ol' T1

Unfortunately, I don't have a T1 to compare it with.  But I would say it's a good amp for the little money you spend to build it. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,418 of 4,061
Simply an outstanding effort, Chinsettawong!

Thank you for sending your marvelous headphones in for measurement. I wouldn't have believed it had I not done the measurements myself.

Very, very nice!!!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/extraordinary-diy-electrostatic-headphones-chinsettawong

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,419 of 4,061
  Simply an outstanding effort, Chinsettawong!

Thank you for sending your marvelous headphones in for measurement. I wouldn't have believed it had I not done the measurements myself.

Very, very nice!!!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/extraordinary-diy-electrostatic-headphones-chinsettawong

Yay!!  Congrats Mr. Chinsettawong!!

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,420 of 4,061
Now, that is a well deserved compliment, congratulations Wachara!

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,422 of 4,061
You are most welcome, Wachara, really a stunning achievement. 

We'll take it to email from here...I've got to figure out how to get them back to you properly.

But I've got 'til Monday to take care of that, so I'll be enjoying a bit of your creation at my leisure over the weekend.

Thank you so very much for the opportunity to experience your headphones.

Outstanding job!

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #1,425 of 4,061
  You are most welcome, Wachara, really a stunning achievement. 

We'll take it to email from here...I've got to figure out how to get them back to you properly.

But I've got 'til Monday to take care of that, so I'll be enjoying a bit of your creation at my leisure over the weekend.

Thank you so very much for the opportunity to experience your headphones.

Outstanding job!

Hi Tyll,

If you like them, please enjoy them for a longer time.  I have no rush to have them back. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks again for your kind review.

Wachara C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back