My Desktop Setup - NuForce Icon HD taking full advantage of SR325is?
Aug 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Biscuitz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using Grado SR325is. I own the NuForce Icon HD, but from some of my recent research it seems the HD's ~250 mW output at 32 Ohms might not exactly take full advantage of the SR325is. Would the HD / Schiit Asgard be a competent combo for SR325is? Or should I ditch the HD and Asgard idea entirely and grab another combo / unit entirely, like the NFB 15.1?

I'm looking for a USB DAC since I listen to music on my computer, a powerful amp to really tap into the power of my SR325is, and simplicity in setup so my computer desk isn't so cluttered - which is one reason I currently dig the Icon HD; I'm just concerned that its ~250 mW doesn't bring the best out of my SR325is.

I'd also like to note that I may in the future grab an RS1i, so hopefully whatever setup is recommended for me will work well with the RS1i as well. I'm not interested in tube amps, and I don't want my amp to color the sound - I like the way Grados sound and don't need to "roll off any highs".

So a recap of my questions and in a more logical order:
1) Does the HD / Asgard combo sound like a great pair with my SR325is, my source being my desktop computer? If so:
   a) How do I set up this combo? What cables do I need, which unit do I plug my headphones into, which unit into the computer, etc. Super newb here.
2) Should I ditch the HD / Asgard combo entirely and go for something simpler like the NFB 15.1?
3) Would both the HD / Asgard combo and the NFB 15.1 sound great with either the SR325is and the RS1i?

Things to keep in mind: I listen to music solely on my desktop computer, so I need USB connection. I don't think I want a tube amp, because I do not want to be tempted with tube rolling and I also don't want my amp to color the sound. And I want a very simple setup for under $300 - My Icon HD cost $300, and I'm only thinking about a future Asgard implementation, but for now $300 and under is my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back