My Denon AH-D5000 sounds excellent without any mods
Oct 11, 2009 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

shuttleboi

100+ Head-Fier
I bought the Denon D5000 recently from Amazon.com for $399. I've read that people find that it has overwhelming bass and need to mod it, but mine's bass is almost perfect.

Interestingly, when I got the headphones, I felt that there was some problems with the earcups, so I ordered a replacement from Amazon. When I got them, I did find that the bass was quite strong and drowned out the mids, unlike my first copy. The first copy had been played about 4 hours by this point, so some burn-in may have occurred, but I don't remember it ever having so much bass. I used the same source for both. I kept the first copy and returned the other one.

I must be extremely lucky. My phones sound incredibly good. Bass is just fine (might actually be a bit light for my tastes), and mids and highs are perfect. Bass, mids, and highs are far better than the Sennheiser 595 I've had for four years. I'm hearing details in CDs that I've never heard before. And the D5000 is soooooo comfortable, even more so than my already-comfy Senn 595.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 29
You are right about the bass, it isn't a big issue, but with some tracks I defnitely find it a tad boomy, though never drowning the mids.
Nice to hear you like your D5000s!

How do you perceive the sound in comparison with your Sennheisers?
Do you find it a big improvement?
Speaking for myself: I find my Audio Technica A500's the bargain of the century.
They deliver about 80% of what the D5000s do and this with well recorded complex and dense classical orchestral music.
With simpler material (and amplified instruments) like pop and rock I find very little improvement.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the Denon D5000 recently from Amazon.com for $399. I've read that people find that it has overwhelming bass and need to mod it, but mine's bass is almost perfect.

Interestingly, when I got the headphones, I felt that there was some problems with the earcups, so I ordered a replacement from Amazon. When I got them, I did find that the bass was quite strong and drowned out the mids, unlike my first copy. The first copy had been played about 4 hours by this point, so some burn-in may have occurred, but I don't remember it ever having so much bass. I used the same source for both. I kept the first copy and returned the other one.

I must be extremely lucky. My phones sound incredibly good. Bass is just fine (might actually be a bit light for my tastes), and mids and highs are perfect. Bass, mids, and highs are far better than the Sennheiser 595 I've had for four years. I'm hearing details in CDs that I've never heard before. And the D5000 is soooooo comfortable, even more so than my already-comfy Senn 595.

You are aware that the earpads turn to fit you ears? They rotate 360 Degrees. Some of them come from the factory turned way off so people think they don't fit right.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open them up and see if you didn't get a pair that someone had performed some mods on, then returned.

That seems unlikely. The package was completely sealed. There was tape on the headphone's pivoting joints as well.

The only thing "weird" about this headphone is that when I place it on my desk (with the R earcup on the right), it always wobbles to the right. Does this happen with anyone else's?

denon02.jpg

denon01.jpg

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 29
Funny, mine as well
20091011-bcujfni21eepdydb9tmbf69n7d.jpg

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing "weird" about this headphone is that when I place it on my desk (with the R earcup on the right), it always wobbles to the right. Does this happen with anyone else's?

Anyone else having this 'problem' with your Denon D5000?

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its just the way the hinge works. the hinge moves pretty freely and the headphones just play a balancing act.

So you have the D5000, and your headphones wobble to one side as well?

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 29
???
Someone with D7000s said his wobble to the left side, I have showed you mine...how much more confirmations do you need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back