my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Nov 15, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #526 of 675
Well what can I say... My Credit Card is screaming!!
The finished product looks awsome!! Can't wait to solder it to life!!

By the way did you have to change something to the BOM? Any updates on that? Maybe We can already start ordering components...

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #527 of 675
Quote:

By the way did you have to change something to the BOM? Any updates on that? Maybe We can already start ordering components...

Patience my friend.

They are being offered as complete kits, so you don't have to worry about sourcing the BOM yourself.

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #528 of 675
Quote:
Quote:

Patience my friend.

They are being offered as complete kits, so you don't have to worry about sourcing the BOM yourself.

They're also being offered as short-kits for those of us that have a parts bin full of nearly everything on the board.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #530 of 675
The pupDAC website is now complete and live:
pupDAC

P.S. The replacement front plates are at the anodizers now.  Hopefully, I can get them to the laser-etchers next week and then we're off and running!

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #531 of 675
Excellent documentation as usual. This is really the "creme de la creme" of a DAC dude!!
My God!! What a Beauty this DAC is!!

I am already so happy with my OsConized GrubDAC which has a unbelievable clarity and depth, I can't wait to check this marvel out.

Only the look of it makes me cry!! And the cobalt blue color... This is too good to be true!!

THANKS for the MASSIVE ACHIEVEMENT!!

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #532 of 675
By the way I've just checked out the BOM to see if I was good from the previous preprod version.

The only missing Mouser part was the 3.5mm jack. As it's a pain in the bottom to order one item only from Digikey, I've checked references at Mouser for the same measurements and came up with this reference 806-STX-3150-3N
I believe it should fit right on the PCB as it measures the same as the Digikey part. Please someone correct me if I am mistaking!

Also for such a beauty, I would like Gold plated RCA output. I got these 806-KLPX-0848A-2RG (Red One) and 806-KLPX-0848A-2BG (Black One as the White is non stocked... There's also a Yellow one 2YB).

Finally I wanted a more precise time base and came up with this 815-ASV-12-EJ-T which is 20 ppm instead of 25 for the same price. Well this is really over the head...

For those interested I have the project ready to be shared on Mouser, but I am probably not the first one to have it in the starting blocks I guess...

Overall it's 73.98 USD including standard Hammond enclosure in Silver (13.08) and an extra Opamp OPA2836 (3.71 USD). Without these we're good to go for a mere 57.19 USD (!), once we get our custom case from Beezar. Overall it's 120 USD as shown in the BOM (45 USD for the custom Case, 10 USD for the PCB and 5 USD for the custom screws).

For such a price, I think this is going to be a HUGE success!!

I also may consider switching the red LED for a violet one just to keep the color in tunes... Ehehe...

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #533 of 675
Quote:
By the way I've just checked out the BOM to see if I was good from the previous preprod version.
The only missing Mouser part was the 3.5mm jack. As it's a pain in the bottom to order one item only from Digikey, I've checked references at Mouser for the same measurements and came up with this reference 806-STX-3150-3N
I believe it should fit right on the PCB as it measures the same as the Digikey part. Please someone correct me if I am mistaking!
Also for such a beauty, I would like Gold plated RCA output. I got these 806-KLPX-0848A-2RG (Red One) and 806-KLPX-0848A-2BG (Black One as the White is non stocked... There's also a Yellow one 2YB).
Finally I wanted a more precise time base and came up with this 815-ASV-12-EJ-T which is 20 ppm instead of 25 for the same price. Well this is really over the head...
For those interested I have the project ready to be shared on Mouser, but I am probably not the first one to have it in the starting blocks I guess...
Overall it's 73.98 USD including standard Hammond enclosure in Silver (13.08) and an extra Opamp OPA2836 (3.71 USD). Without these we're good to go for a mere 57.19 USD (!), once we get our custom case from Beezar. Overall it's 120 USD as shown in the BOM (45 USD for the custom Case, 10 USD for the PCB and 5 USD for the custom screws).
For such a price, I think this is going to be a HUGE success!!
I also may consider switching the red LED for a violet one just to keep the color in tunes... Ehehe...

It appears that you are correct about 806-STX-3150-3N.  It must be new, because even the Mouser salesman couldn't find it for me a month ago - only a 5-pin version.  If it checks out completely, I'll add it to the Mouser side of the BOM.

Gold RCA's look really ugly with a blue case and white-silver laser-etching.  Silver jacks were selected on purpose.  Keep in mind the silver RCA jacks are plated nickel, not tin.

Cobaltmute will have to confirm on the oscillator, but we knew there were substitutes.

Remember those blue-anodized aluminum screws include my tapping the case for 6-32 threads.  Being aluminum, those screws will strip if the case is not tapped.  The normal screws that come with the case are regular 'ol silver phillips self-tapping screws.

The total price of the kit will be $125 - you're forgetting to add in the 806-STX-3150-3N on the Mouser side of the BOM.  Just so everyone understands, the price of the case will be $50 without the kit.  There has to be some advantage to ordering it all together, after all.  Plus, just to kick things off, I'm inluding both the OPA2835 and LMH6643 opamps in the first 100 kits. 
wink.gif

Thanks for the kind comments on the website.  It may be the most thoroughly detailed website I've made, yet.  About the only thing it doesn't have is movies - maybe I'll add that eventually.
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #534 of 675
Weird.  The pins are slightly off in the drawing for 806-STX-3150-3N, but when measuring the DigiKey jacks that I have, the pins measure closest to the Mouser drawing, not DigiKey's.  I'm almost certain it will work - cobaltmute left ample pad hole clearances, but I'll order one to make sure and let you know.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #535 of 675
For that oscillator, don't confuse PPM accuracy with low jitter.

The crystek unit is reported by others to be low jitter, which is more important than absolute accuracy.

But the bottom line is any 12Mhz oscillator that fits the pads with the right pinout will work.

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #536 of 675
Hey guys thanks for the update. Yeah I agree, after reading you Tom, maybe the gold is less good looking than nickel plating after all.
And for your comment CobaltMute, I take it as granted, you have a much better knowledge than me on electronics. Thanks for taking time to give us this info.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #538 of 675
Hi guys, my first post here. Been lurking for a while, but finally decided to make an account to thank all the guys with contribution to this project, especially tomb. Can't wait to get one of these.

Just for clarification though, would it be "cheaper" to buy only the case and PCB and order the same exact parts from the material list from mouser/digikey, or would it just be more worthwhile to get the full kit for $125?

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #539 of 675
Quote:
Hi guys, my first post here. Been lurking for a while, but finally decided to make an account to thank all the guys with contribution to this project, especially tomb. Can't wait to get one of these.

Just for clarification though, would it be "cheaper" to buy only the case and PCB and order the same exact parts from the material list from mouser/digikey, or would it just be more worthwhile to get the full kit for $125?

Thanks for the compliment, but I couldn't do anything if cobaltmute hadn't created it, first.

As for ordering separately, you would eat up the difference in shipping, at least.  Plus, the case will be more expensive outside of the kit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back