my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Jun 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #286 of 675
Quote:
Here are a few questions...

Because there are both RCA and 3.5mm connections... Is it safe to assume you can supply two amps at the same time?

What's the RMS of this DAC?

Also, I'm in for trying to figure out measurements for a Front Panels Express order. Anyone else interested? I'd say they would cost between $40-50 for a set of two.

I'd be down for that Mullet. Count me in for a set.

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #288 of 675
My plan is to definitely use the standard Hammond case and make up a few panels from Front Panels Express. They have a nifty piece of software for the designing the panels for both PC and Mac. Cobaltmute, do you have anything available that would aid in measurements so I can apply that to a FPE project? I can then either provide the project to anyone that wants it and they can individually buy the panels or if it's cheap enough we can do a small group buy if everyone is in. Right now it's just myself and Misterrogers that are in.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #290 of 675
Yep, checked out their application/process this morning; looks very cool. I'm going to try it out for another diy project. Price is a bit high, but to me it's worth it for a good, finished look. I kinda suck at the case work.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #291 of 675
I'm in the same boat as you... kinda suck at the case work... well I'm ok, but don't have a good amount of tools to get the job done so I find it easier to deal with FPE. Plus, you know it's gonna look good despite the expense.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #292 of 675
FPE does good work but I am not a fan of the software.  It may just be me but I can draw a whole 3D model of a face plate in Sketchup in about a quarter of the time it takes to just get things set up in the FPE screen.  Maybe I completely missed something but I still have not figured out how to put in reference lines for layout.

I may be in for a set of panels also.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #293 of 675
Yeah I agree their software is clunky. It's the only way to get decent results though. Anyone know of any other companies that offer such a service? FPE seems like the only kid on the block.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #295 of 675
Thanks I'll try them out this time around. If it's easy to get quotes from both companies I'll compare then go with the best price.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #296 of 675
Thanks, for the link.  I like that you can upload your own .dxf file for them to use.  That makes things very convenient. 

Mullet, let us know what you find out.  As long as the price is good I'm in.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #297 of 675
I've asked for a copy of cam experts software for Mac this morning. Still waiting. It does appear that FPE software can export .dxf as well so I can send the same document to both companies for a quote. I'm wondering if Cobalt has something that would contain measurements on his latest board layout. Not sure if Eagle or whatever software he uses can generate that. Otherwise, I can try and piece together measurements using other projects I've done like the Gamma1 DAC, that uses the same case. I'm assume there will be 2 holes on the back plate -- USB and LED. Then 3 holes on the front plate -- RCA and 3.5mm jack. Plus there is Type for the name of DAC, USB, RCA left and right and 1/8" Output. I don't think LED needs type. I'm assuming I'd need a caliper if I don't have some formal measurements.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #298 of 675
Quote:
I've asked for a copy of cam experts software for Mac this morning. Still waiting. It does appear that FPE software can export .dxf as well so I can send the same document to both companies for a quote. I'm wondering if Cobalt has something that would contain measurements on his latest board layout. Not sure if Eagle or whatever software he uses can generate that. Otherwise, I can try and piece together measurements using other projects I've done like the Gamma1 DAC, that uses the same case. I'm assume there will be 2 holes on the back plate -- USB and LED. Then 3 holes on the front plate -- RCA and 3.5mm jack. Plus there is Type for the name of DAC, USB, RCA left and right and 1/8" Output. I don't think LED needs type. I'm assuming I'd need a caliper if I don't have some formal measurements.

I've got the file from cobaltmute.  I'll try to put up a dimensioned drawing soon.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #299 of 675
I hope you guys don't mind if I slip the shipping one more day.  I'm waiting on more PCM2707's from TI.  They're supposed to arrive today, but it looks like it's going to be at the end of the day, not before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back