My collection of Mahler 2nds reviewed
Oct 4, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MTT
I have not spent the big bucks yet to try any of MTT's very expensive new Mahler series.........but from reading other comments elsewhere I suspect I would not like his M2 as much as DM does, if I saw a used version for good price I would try it to see what all the buzz is about

Bernstein DG
I am big Lenny fan but like very few of his slower DG 1980 recordings, almost always his earlier Sony NYPO versions will be better, M2 case in point the Ely cathedral NYPO/Sony version much better for me.

I'm a big fan of the MTT M2. It sounds great, the orchestra plays wonderfully and MTT's ideas are mostly very good. I'd rank it as the best of the series thus far.

I also love Lenny's DG M2. I still count it as one of my definitive/reference recordings. True, it's slow and apocalyptic, but my goodness, what an evening it would have been to be in the concert hall that night! It really raises the roof and digs deep in spirituality.

I think you're getting two Bernstein recordings mixed up DA. He has an Ely Cathedral recording with the LSO on Sony (also issued in the Universal DVD box set), and then he has the famous (and the one many people prefer) NYPO/Sony version. This one was recorded in Manhattan Center in NYC. This has much better sound than the LSO/Ely Cathedral recording.

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundsGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're getting two Bernstein recordings mixed up DA. He has an Ely Cathedral recording with the LSO on Sony (also issued in the Universal DVD box set), and then he has the famous (and the one many people prefer) NYPO/Sony version. This one was recorded in Manhattan Center in NYC. This has much better sound than the LSO/Ely Cathedral recording.

Yes you are correct..........I was referring to NYPO/Sony M2 from Manhatten Center. I would like to have the LSO/Ely Cathedral M2 also but I think that is only available on DVD.

I have also read comments that MTT's M2 is best of his set......that is why I would purchase if good used price were available.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #18 of 18
I have MTT, Ozawa, Boulez, Kaplan, Abbado and Fischer. The Ozawa/Saito Kinen interpretation is by far my preferred one. I am not impressed by the MTT series in general. I just wish the Ozawa were available in SACD format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back