My Christmas surprise for my friends (56k warning)
Dec 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
Happy Holidays, everyone,

How much is enough? I decided a couple months ago that I have more than enough audio equipment. I’m a senior in college and I have more audio equipment than many working adults that I know, in fact, I’m currently running a roughly $1k headphone setup consisting of my EMU 0404 USB, Head-Direct EF1, and Grado HF-2’s. I also have two very good speaker systems and plenty of other headphones (like 10 others), a spare headphone amp, and an SACD player. Whatever. Bottom line, I usually spend about $500-1000 each year on audio equipment for myself (about 20% of what I make in the average summer) and I came to the conclusion this year that my rig is pretty much as maxed out as it’s going to get for a long time (I might add another headphone, but the other stuff won’t change). Laugh all you want!
smily_headphones1.gif

Furthermore, I lent one of my friends a pair of headphones over the summer, my iGrados. He enjoyed them quite a I lot, I believe, and while I do use them about once a week and here and there, I didn’t really need them, so I felt bad asking for them back. In fact, the guilt weighed so heavily on me that I decided that I would use the money I would have spent on junk for myself to buy him a pair of headphones, so I bought him a pair of SR-80’s, the first real headphones I ever owned myself. But later, it dawned on me…why stop there? I just spent $450 on a pair of headphones for myself at the beginning of the year (HF-2’s) and I could easily blow another $500 on other junk over the course of this year, so why not just spend it on buying headphones for all of my friends? Let’s just say I have a close circle of friends here that overlap very strongly because we have two things in common: we’re all musicians and we all love to play video games, in fact, we play Halo 3 all the time together. I’ve known these guys for years and all of them have complimented me on my headphones at one point or another. So, over the course of about a month, I aquired seven pairs of Grados:

2 SR-60’s
2 SR-60i’s
2 SR-80’s
1 MS-1

Why Grados? Easy to drive, 1/8” single ended so you can plug them into any laptop or anything, plus they happen to be my preference. Now, the majority of them are used but are in excellent condition. Most of them I bought off people who tried them and didn’t like them or need them, so they resold them here. Kudos if you're one of those people. One of the SR-80’s didn’t come with the original box (I bought them locally) so I bought a case on ebay for him. I still saved at least $100 by buying used, if not double that. Here’s the result:

IMG_1905.jpg

They arrived at different times, but in this picture, it looks like I just got them!

IMG_1914.jpg
IMG_1918.jpg
IMG_1919.jpg

Sorting and comparing...

IMG_1922.jpg

My signature-less signature of doom, our beloved website.

IMG_1908.jpg

Now hide!
IMG_1909.jpg

Mwahahahahaha!

So, I’ve taped them all up, placed a CD of random but good quality music on the inside, and written a little thingie on the back with their name and a website that will eventually kill their wallets like it’s killing all of ours.
biggrin.gif

Now here’s the reason I’m posting this: I challenge you all to do the same if you aren't already, and if you are, post your surprise here so we can see it as well!! But hey, if I can manage something like this on a college budget (OK, OK, I admit that internships help), surely there are others here who could be doing the same thing this season. In the end, it’s not about the money and buying all the headphones, it’s about physically sharing the information that you don’t have to listen to crappy headphones! And that information has been more valuable to me than you all can imagine because I get to enjoy this hobby every day and I love listening to hi-fi music.

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 20
I wish the same thing, flatlines... Extremely giving of you! Very cool.

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 20
Dang you really get into the holiday spirit MD1032!

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?
bigsmile_face.gif

Pfft no haha. I don't nearly have the funds to do even what you're doing. I do give my friends free listens to my setup and a chance to see a "relic" in action (my TT) whenever they're over though
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not going to be outdone this Christmas. Wait for my "My friends are getting RS1's for Christmas" thread.

I just added you as a friend purely in the hopes of you meaning your friends according to your profile page...

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 20
You would be an awesome friend.
biggrin.gif
Of course is this one sided or do you expect to be "gifted" back some time?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back