My CD3000! Faulty?.................../cries
Jan 12, 2006 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jtwn

100+ Head-Fier
My dear beloved CD3000 seems to have developed a problem..Was trying to get something from under my bed and knocked a sidetable...headphones on it knocked off with everything on the table on it. Put on the headphones and some tunes just to check they were ok, expecting that to be so.

It doesn't seem so. The sound seems all there apart from the lower bass, it seem as if there is a point (I have no perception of the differing frequencies in that spectrum so couldn't say where abouts) where the sound just isn't there. I put on this small earsplitting bass track I have, sounds pretty good, its half brain shaking half very low audible bass, and it sounds very lopsided on that and if I put a normal track on, and remove all the bass through my amp, the sound seems to get central again.

Does it sound like it could actually be a driver problem, or possible something has moved out of its place within the housing? Nothing rattles. Tried to take the thing apart but don't have screwdrivers small enough to hand. Any comments would be appreciated in this time of need
wink.gif
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn
Any comments would be appreciated in this time of need
wink.gif
frown.gif

Yeah, it only takes an experience like that one to stop buying Sony products.

Also... it might help to repost this at the DIY section, they're really handy with this particular model over there. Good luck.

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 7
OK after some experimentation The sound does move away from the centre somewhere between 60hz and 100hz.

^ This reply was written a while ago, just never pressed the button. Been playing some music for the past 5, 10 minutes when I turned it up. There was a quiet pop sound and all of sudden the soundstage grew and felt full again.....it seems a Sony product of all has fixed itself =D I don't know what that means, if something within critical to the sound popped back into place or the driver was being affected...I don't know, but will definately be buying some spare drivers after that..
3000smile.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Had a similar experience with my Senn's a few months back. I knocked them off my desk accidentally, and they fell to the ground with a clunk. I wasn't really worried, because I'd done this once before and everything was fine, but I guess I wasn't so lucky the second time around. I quickly played a few test tracks to make sure they were alright, only to discover that there was a pretty noticeable channel imbalance between the left and right drivers, with the right being louder and fuller sounding than the left. Unfortunately, I had to send them into Sennheiser for repair, but it didn't take them too long, and soon all was well again. Still, definitely not a fun experience. I actually thought of buying a backup pair just in case, but I decided not to due to budgetary constraints.

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Yeah, it only takes an experience like that one to stop buying Sony products.

Or Grados with their patented "Grattle", or Audio-Technicas with their faulty drivers, Senns with intermittent cable connections, too...

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Larry from Headphile has a lot of experience working with CD3000's. He might be able to remedy your issue for a relatively low price. If not, PM me and I'll buy your CD3000's!
tongue.gif

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back