My Bloody Valentine
Oct 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
I have wanted to get into this band for awhile, and since they seem to be making a resurgence lately with some concerts I DLed their classic "Loveless" off of Amazon. I know this is an underground indie band but the SQ is awful, to the point where I wonder if the copy I DLed is corrupt. Does anyone who has experience with this band tell me if this is just their lo fi style or do I have a bad copy. I listen to a lot of bands that do not exactly embrace the hi fi sonics we love- but some of this is almost unlistenable.

Thanks for the input...

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have wanted to get into this band for awhile, and since they seem to be making a resurgence lately with some concerts I DLed their classic "Loveless" off of Amazon. I know this is an underground indie band but the SQ is awful, to the point where I wonder if the copy I DLed is corrupt. Does anyone who has experience with this band tell me if this is just their lo fi style or do I have a bad copy. I listen to a lot of bands that do not exactly embrace the hi fi sonics we love- but some of this is almost unlistenable.

Thanks for the input...

Oh, man. I don't even know where to begin here.
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 30
ezkcdude's reaction is not unwarranted... if a little cynical in a comical kind of way, so take it with a grain of salt.

it's supposed to sound like that; it's noisy, hazy, ethereal, with lots of feedback, echoey effects, and atmosphere. it's My Bloody Valentine's (as well as countless Shoegaze bands like Ride, Slowdive, etc.) signature sound. Wiki Shoegaze and find out more.

it's kinda funny, it reminds me a long time ago i was listening to Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy in my room and a friend of mine was like... "dude, your speakers are shot!" LOL.

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ezkcdude's reaction is not unwarranted... if a little cynical in a comical kind of way, so take it with a grain of salt.

^^^Yeah, I apologize for sounding snotty, but if you realized how well known and loved their sound is, you would understand my point.

For many people, MBV are a revelation. And know this - the sound on that album, as well as the music, was exquisitely and painstakingly crafted by Kevin Shields, one of the foremost brilliant musicians of our time.

Hope this 2nd response of mine helped a little bit more than the previous one.
beerchug.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 30
first, there are already several threads out there about My Bloody Valentine, I don't really think a new one is needed.

Also, every sound on the record is purely intentional. I don't think it qualifies as lo fi at all, really.
to check if your version is corrupted (unlikley, as others have said) try comparing it to the songs on their myspace or to the amazon/itunes song samples.

and lastly, enjoy!
Loveless is one of my favorite albums. Even though your initial impressions aren't positive, try it again in a few weeks or months, maybe take it on a long train/plane/car ride and listen to it 2 or 3 times in a row if you can stand to. I find it to be an album which is very rewarding upon close, repeat listens.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 30
These guys are still going? I used to listen to them when my hair was long and dreaded, face pierced and wore large boots with my long leather jacket. Oh what I dashing figure I cut.
In answer to you question... Yes that is their sound. Anything but HiFi. All scowling, mumbles and noise.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it's supposed to sound like that; it's noisy, hazy, ethereal, with lots of feedback, echoey effects, and atmosphere. it's My Bloody Valentine's (as well as countless Shoegaze bands like Ride, Slowdive, etc.) signature sound. Wiki Shoegaze and find out more.

it's kinda funny, it reminds me a long time ago i was listening to Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy in my room and a friend of mine was like... "dude, your speakers are shot!" LOL.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. Before I truely engage this peice I just want to know that this is HOW it is supposed to sound. I am not even saying I don't like it but you must admit as a first time listener it warrants at least some mild concern. I understand good music requires a warming up to period I just wanted to make sure this is how it was supposed to sound before I took the time. But again, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^Yeah, I apologize for sounding snotty, but if you realized how well known and loved their sound is, you would understand my point.

For many people, MBV are a revelation. And know this - the sound on that album, as well as the music, was exquisitely and painstakingly crafted by Kevin Shields, one of the foremost brilliant musicians of our time.

Hope this 2nd response of mine helped a little bit more than the previous one.
beerchug.gif

Much better, thanks
bigsmile_face.gif
Like I said above just curious as this is a new band for me. I have had a lot of experience with bands that are looking for a less than polished sound, I just want to know that I am in fact listening to how it is supposed to sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first, there are already several threads out there about My Bloody Valentine, I don't really think a new one is needed.

This was the most recent one I could find concerning my question. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/my-...quality-67968/ I thought 4 years time might warrant a new thread, especially considering it spoke specifically about the Amazon MP3 (which was not around then) and the fact that these may be remasters. If you go to the new [specifically All Shook Down] Replacements Amazon MP3s their remasters were sent completely jacked up, you cannot even hear them.

Also, every sound on the record is purely intentional. I don't think it qualifies as lo fi at all, really.
to check if your version is corrupted (unlikley, as others have said) try comparing it to the songs on their myspace or to the amazon/itunes song samples.

Already did that, but the opinions of people on this site are much more valuable. Thats why I am a member of head-fi and not myspace.

and lastly, enjoy!
Loveless is one of my favorite albums. Even though your initial impressions aren't positive, try it again in a few weeks or months, maybe take it on a long train/plane/car ride and listen to it 2 or 3 times in a row if you can stand to. I find it to be an album which is very rewarding upon close, repeat listens.

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 30
Loveless is one of the best albums that has ever been created. But I think their genius stops there.....

As others have said, check out Slowdive, and even a newer band called Mira...good stuff.

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjrtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Loveless is one of the best albums that has ever been created. But I think their genius stops there.....

As they never made another album after that, I would agree.
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As they never made another album after that, I would agree.
wink.gif

No wink necessary, we all know they only had a couple albums out.

But with their short lived formation, they created a genre.

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 30
Negative? NO..not at all.

If it was negative I wouldn't have written that it was one of the best albums ever created.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back