My Beresford TC7520 DAC initial impressions. 56K, abandon hope all ye who enter.
Jun 14, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #46 of 64
Do anyone know what USB receiver and DAC chip that is used in the Beresford 7520 DAC???

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #47 of 64
hey guys, just got my TC-7520 and I'm still burning it in, but I was just wondering, for the headphone gain range, do I have to open it up to set the gain range to match my headphones or is it the volume nob that controls the headphone gain range.

Because, the instructions say to set the "volume control 0db level" (which I'm not exactly sure if its the front volume knob or some other thing inside the TC-7520.) level to 12-2 o'clock for headphones with an impedence of 32-64 ohms, but if you put the front volume knob at 12-1 o'clock, it is waay too loud.

also, i'm using the TC-7520 with my Macbook via optical with a pair of senns hd 595 and was also wondering if the TC-7520 was just plug and play or do i have to do anything else to get the maximum sound out of this thing.

thanks again guys.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, just got my TC-7520 and I'm still burning it in, but I was just wondering, for the headphone gain range, do I have to open it up to set the gain range to match my headphones or is it the volume nob that controls the headphone gain range.

Because, the instructions say to set the "volume control 0db level" (which I'm not exactly sure if its the front volume knob or some other thing inside the TC-7520.) level to 12-2 o'clock for headphones with an impedence of 32-64 ohms, but if you put the front volume knob at 12-1 o'clock, it is waay too loud.

there is no gain setting for the amp section. just plug in your headphones and adjust the volume as you normally would. the volume knob also controls the variable output line and can be used as a preamp for speakers. i was also confused about the instructions; i just use the variable output to connect to a extra headphone amplifier because i don't have any speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, i'm using the TC-7520 with my Macbook via optical with a pair of senns hd 595 and was also wondering if the TC-7520 was just plug and play or do i have to do anything else to get the maximum sound out of this thing.

thanks again guys.

just plug n' play. enjoy.
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do anyone know what USB receiver and DAC chip that is used in the Beresford 7520 DAC???

PCM2707. The USB utilizes another DAC chip than the S/PDIF interface for D/A conversion.

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCM2707. The USB utilizes another DAC chip than the S/PDIF interface for D/A conversion.

Thank you for your respond, have tried to find it for some time now
smily_headphones1.gif

So the 2707 chip is used for the usb to spdif or i2f conversion or is it used as a dac?

I am pusseld by the performance if it utilize the pcm2707 dac as a DAC.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #51 of 64
I have received the Beresford TC520 DAC and using it on my CD hifi system. The CD player is $US1,500.

The DAC is used as a pre-amplifier rather than the line out. Is there a difference.

My general impression is tha the DAC provides greater clarity overall.

The bass is more precise- sort of like a sharper boom for drums.

The midrange is a slight improvement in my opinion. The high notes are better.

I am using a co-axial cable between the CD player (no other digital out options) and the DAC.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(found on the net. not easily found, mind you, as the vendor goes out of his way to HIDE what's inside.)

aaa great scoop!
Thank you

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #55 of 64
I am not able to spot any re-clocking crystals on the pictures. Aren't there suppose to be 2 in this DAC?

They could be hiding under the board though

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #56 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not able to spot any re-clocking crystals on the pictures. Aren't there suppose to be 2 in this DAC?

could this explain, maybe? that one 'reclock' is the pcm usb chip; then that -may- be routed via spdif to the 8414 spdif receiver chip, which also does a reclocking of sorts (the act of receiving spdif).

just a WAG though.

I don't see a SRC chip there, but that could be another 'reclocking' phase.

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
variable vs fixed line out- whats better?

I'm also guessing on this one: that the line-out from the rear board is sent to the front for the volume pot, then sent back again to the rear board for 'variable out'.

fixed-out is almost always the more clean path.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #59 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
variable vs fixed line out- whats better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also guessing on this one: that the line-out from the rear board is sent to the front for the volume pot, then sent back again to the rear board for 'variable out'.

fixed-out is almost always the more clean path.

The variable would come handy if you use it to feed a power amp or powered speaker monitors.

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #60 of 64
Don't recall where, but I recall seeing that folks were getting a less clear signal from the variable output. Don't have the time to dig up the reference but it is out there. Saw it while researching how I might decrease a soure's output to the preamp to overcome an overly aggressive volume control on my preamp when the remote is used...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back