My Audio Technica ATH-CK9 Experience/Review
Oct 9, 2007 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Donnyhifi

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I was searching for some suitable replacements EP630s because they weren't satisfying enough to listen to on my commute to work, the mid bass was bloated and there just isn't enough clarity at the higher frequencies. In Japan the subways are quite noisy and the Creatives just don't provide enough isolation for this. I borrowed my friend's Ety ER6i's and thought the trebles were quite precise but they lacked bass presence and fullness in the mids, giving a very analytical sound. Even with the shortcomings I felt they were quite satisfying to listen to. I found my Ipod 5.5GB player to be lacking impact in the lower frequencies when compared to other MP3 players and this amplified they Ety's faults. I use all my headphones at home too where they run off my Creative Audigy2 PCMCIA soundcard hooked up to my GoVibeV6. As for the type of music I listen to, I listen to a wide range of music from Pink Floyd to Tupac to Armin Van Buuren, with a total of about 40GB of MP3's.

I was at HMV at Ikebukuro, Tokyo and saw a pair of Audio Technica ATH-CK9's on sale for 9,500yen($83USD) and at half price I was thinking to myself that this must be a great deal, there were a pair of CK7s for about $45USD but opted for the CK9 instead after a brief demo with my mobile phone(only source available to me at the time no CK7's to demo). I then came home and did some research on the two models on this forum only to find out that a few people actually preferred the CK-7 to the CK-9.

After trying the CK-9 on the first day, I was very dissappointed with the sound. There was no bass presence, the mids were ok and the highs had an ample amount of sibilance without much definition at all. The noise isolation was horrible, worse than my creative EP630. They were also constantly falling out after about 5 minutes of use and it was difficult to make a good seal with them.

I then thought maybe these things need to be burned in but the general consensus here is that armature technology doesn't change thier characteristics with more use. I decided what the heck, lets burn em in anyways and ran pink noise through them at moderate volume overnight. The next morning the sound didn't change at all.

I then consulted AnGeLiCbOrIs who told me about his experience with some Shure rubbers used with his CK-9, so I picked up some to try out. I found the Shures provided a better seal which led to a little better isolation and bass response. There still was too much harshness in the highs. But the biggest problem with the Shure rubbers is that it would fall out if moving around doing some walking or excersize.

I was quite disappointed with my pair of CK9's and was on the verge of selling them until I tried some Shure yellow foamies which my friend was using with his ER6i's. It took a screwdriver and a pen until I could get them to strech far enough to make them fit. The sound changed immensely and the CK9's sounded quite dark, the bass became quite heavy and somewhat bloated. The vocals became recessed yet the rest of the mids were sounding forward
confused.gif
When it came to the the highs, all the sibilance was gone along with the rest of the upper frequencies, it felt as if someone put a blanket over the drivers. I failed to mention that the isolation was great with the Yellow foamies but it lacked detail. I found them uncomfortable, they were quite scratchy but never fell out even during exercise.

I then decided to pickup some Shure Olive Foamies, they looked great but it Shure was a pain to put on, I had to stretch them with some chopsticks before they would fit. After putting them on, first thing I noticed is how much the comfort and isolation had improved

Now for sound quality, what can I say they sound great!
etysmile.gif

Nice, tight, clean, and defined bass making drums sound real but not overwhelming. The mids and vocals sound sweet, sibilance is gone, leaving behind nice detailed airy highs. They sound very neutral with the Shure Olives with a strong sense of realism. The soundstage is wide, deep and enveloping, not typical of IEMs.

One way I can tell if I'm listening to a descent pair of headphones is if I start bobbing my head to the music, initially I couldn't wear the CK9's for more than 10 minutes without it annoying me but now I can't stop bobbing my head
smily_headphones1.gif
these definitely are a keeper!
rs1smile.gif

Cheers,

Donny

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 11
By the way, Donnyhifi, i have a question.
What size of Shure olive foam do you use? S, M, L?
because I just discovered that the small and medium silicon tips that comes with CK9 are different. The medium tips gives slightly "full" sound, but the small tips gives a little bit better comfort
rolleyes.gif

So I'm deciding which size of shure foam is better for me.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 11
I got the Medium Shure Olives.

Yeah, when it comes to the Silicon tips included with the CK9 I had the exact same experience with them as you. The small ones were comfortable but didn't seal well whereas the mediums sealed better(giving a more fuller sound) but I couldn't wear them for more than 40 minutes.

Cheers,

Donny

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks Captian!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dario:
Yes, those are the ones you want, the Shure Olives are a great improvement in terms of comfort and SQ. Also, use a pair of small needle-nose pliers stretch the olives open and then slide them on. Be sure to get them on properly or else quickly remove them and try again. If you leave them on for a while they won't come off without ruining them. I work the pliers inside the hole and then wedge a screwdriver in the pliers to stretch them a bit more. Using this technique I can get them on my SF5 Pros which are even wider. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Deon

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks Deon, I will try them, for now I don't like too much how they sound (great clarity and detail, very good middle and high (a little harsh few time) but there is a real lack of bass imho), lucky I have got them at a very good price..

For the "insertion" I will try as you described, or just I will heat them with a phon if they are made of "plastic" material...

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #11 of 11
I have just bought them, I will try when they will arrive, as they are now the ck9, I don't like very much them, there is a real lack of bass and comfort, and also only for comfort I would try other foam...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back