My apartment was broken into.
Jul 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a semi-related note. My landlord, ironically enough, broke into my apartment, without permission or warning, to install a chain lock on the door. I do not know if I should feel safer or not.

If your lease does not have any verbiage about reasonable notice before entry by the landlord or his agents, try to get a new lease signed with it.

Of course, if there's an emergency, like water pouring into the downstairs apt. from yours, all bets are off. But installing a chain lock is not an emergency.

At least suggest to them that you are uncomfortable with them entering the apartment without warning for non-emergency issues.

On a semi-related note, I purposely scared the bejesus out of my mother-in-law's resident apartment manager. He had gotten into the practice of coming into her apartment while she was sleeping in the afternoon, and raiding her refrigerator.

I took my Model 12 over to her house one morning early, napped and sat and read a book until she got home and went to sleep, then went and sat at the kitchen table with the shotgun and cleaning supplies. He unlocked and walked in the door, bold as brass. I waited until he walked around the corner, and racked the action closed on an empty chamber, pointing it vaguely in the direction of the light fixture over the table, and asked him, "Can I help you?" Looking at his face, it took all my willpower to not add, "Perhaps some clean shorts?" He stammered something about having the wrong apartment, and left, quickly.

My mother in law said he stopped going into her and other people's apartments without knocking and announcing himself loudly, first.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

... He had gotten into the practice of coming into her apartment while she was sleeping in the afternoon, and raiding her refrigerator...

I find this both funny and very disturbing. Perhaps she should have baked chocolate cakes and used ex-lax for the frosting.
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find this both funny and very disturbing. Perhaps she should have baked chocolate cakes and used ex-lax for the frosting.
wink.gif

Oh, trust me, ex-lax couldn't possibly have been as effective as hearing the Model 12 go KER-SHLACK!, and looking up and seeing me with it.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your lease does not have any verbiage about reasonable notice before entry by the landlord or his agents, try to get a new lease signed with it.

Of course, if there's an emergency, like water pouring into the downstairs apt. from yours, all bets are off. But installing a chain lock is not an emergency.

At least suggest to them that you are uncomfortable with them entering the apartment without warning for non-emergency issues.

On a semi-related note, I purposely scared the bejesus out of my mother-in-law's resident apartment manager. He had gotten into the practice of coming into her apartment while she was sleeping in the afternoon, and raiding her refrigerator.

I took my Model 12 over to her house one morning early, napped and sat and read a book until she got home and went to sleep, then went and sat at the kitchen table with the shotgun and cleaning supplies. He unlocked and walked in the door, bold as brass. I waited until he walked around the corner, and racked the action closed on an empty chamber, pointing it vaguely in the direction of the light fixture over the table, and asked him, "Can I help you?" Looking at his face, it took all my willpower to not add, "Perhaps some clean shorts?" He stammered something about having the wrong apartment, and left, quickly.

My mother in law said he stopped going into her and other people's apartments without knocking and announcing himself loudly, first.

Our lease does provide a clause that states they must give us written notification to prior to entering the unit unless of emergency.

I suppose it is vague enough that they could claim the added locks was due to some increased or perceived threat and could be deemed an emergency.

I am considering this as a good reason to break my lease as I plan on moving anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back