Musiland Monitor 02 US
Oct 16, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #34 of 1,340
I got mine yesterday. Working nicely 24/192 BUT, unable to have their ASIO driver working. The funny thing though is that it works fine with ASIO4ALL, but strangely Through de WDM column on their desktop... whereas the windows sound is deactivated !!! very strange. And the PDF manual cannot be opened : it hangs the computer (2 different ones already). So I am in a bad position ...

Anyone encountered the same problems ?

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #38 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine yesterday. Working nicely 24/192 BUT, unable to have their ASIO driver working. The funny thing though is that it works fine with ASIO4ALL, but strangely Through de WDM column on their desktop... whereas the windows sound is deactivated !!! very strange. And the PDF manual cannot be opened : it hangs the computer (2 different ones already). So I am in a bad position ...

Anyone encountered the same problems ?

I'll help you resolve it today.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #40 of 1,340
Could be wrong but from memory, no...
If you search this thread you'll find your answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreedomPirate01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does this work with macbook pro?

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #41 of 1,340
Once your ST's burnt in I'd be very interested in what your thoughts are between it and the Musiland.

I've no real need for an external sound card at this stage.
I want a high quality card that can be integrated into my HTPC/AVR.

But longer term I'll want one; mainly because they're portable which means one can have quality sound output when travelling etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by macrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds musical with a liquid neutral sound. Perhaps when compared to much more expensive dacs a little lacking in absolute bass authority. Utterly unfatiguing. Nice sound stage. I have to check the input on my preamp to see whether I am listening to the musiland or the cambridge 840c which I think is pretty cool consider the 840c cost 15 times more.

I bought mine purely out of curiosity with a monitor 01usd. I am much more impressed with the monitor 02us than the monitor 01usd. The monitor 01usd is a bit bright sounding.

I would seriously be amazed if you are not blown away by the monitor 02us.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #44 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can this thing arrive already! I hate waiting for my new toys to arrive! >.<

<---- impatient.

Let us know how it is. I'm about to order this tomorrow because it can support 24/192 via USB (and the price, $150 shipped via EMS, wow). Plus I like two headphone jack feature which is good for my Grados.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #45 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us know how it is. I'm about to order this tomorrow because it can support 24/192 via USB (and the price, $150 shipped via EMS, wow). Plus I like two headphone jack feature which is good for my Grados.

It arrived today!

Throughly testing it at the moment.
Tbh, like macrog, I do prefer this wee thing (it is small, smaller than I expected) to my Asus Essence STX w/ 3x LME49720NA's.

I am using the line-out to my Rockhopper M^3 amp. The line-outs are at the front = annoying as I prefer the line-outs to be at the back but this is just a mere cosmetic issue.

Musiland 02 Monitor US vs. Asus Essence STX w/ 3 x LME 49720NAs

Both were going to a Rockhopper M^3 amp --> Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm headphones

* The Musiland 02 US has more detail and really tbh, sounds more lively. The STX with these opamps = much more cold sounding
* In terms of power output, it outputs slightly less than the STX but this is really just a side issue as it's really a few more mm's more on the amp knob I have to put up = nothing.
* As with the detail, the reverb and background vocals is much more apparent with the music than in the STX.
* The bass is more hard hitting and deeper tbh at around the same amount or even slightly less quantity wise.
* As with all good equipment, it reveals flaws in the recording that well wasn't there with the STX
* The notes just sound much more crisper and has much more timbre to them than with the STX (and although this is subjective, timbre can actually be measured scientifically but well, I don't know how to do it but I know it can)
This is very much apparent with stuff like the piano and violins. I love 'natural' sounding equipment that has timbre (thus my portable setup, Sansa Fuze --> JVC HP-FX500, both now known to be natural sounding and having timbre). The more timbre it has, the more it evokes the emotions and enjoyment of the music in me and this does. I can see classical listeners loving this.
* The soundstage is slightly wider (very minor) however the depth of the soundstage and placement is more noticeable. Vocals are slightly more laid-back (1 row out of 10) than the STX. The soundstage is much more speaker like than the STX with these opamps.
* Tbh, I never expected the Musiland 02 US to really sound this good for the price and size. It truly is a bargain.

Wow really tbh. The more I listen to it, the more I'm impressed however I am aware of such things as expectation bias and the psychoacoustic effect of accommodation thus there are initial impressions and I will report in a few days. Atm though, fantastic for the price. Then most noticeable differences are the timbre and detail.

Tip: If you're in Foobar2000, make sure you set it to WASAPI /KS and to 16 bit or else Foobar2000 will have a cry.
I got mine for $137US from hifiakon on Ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back