Musician's Forum?
Aug 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a thought I've had for a while. Now that there's enough band geeks floating around out there with me, I think it would be awesome to have a forum here for discussing actually making music instead of just listening to it. It can be for anything: guitar, orchestral/symphonic, percussion, etc. I myself play a strange variety of instruments that I'd love to chat about with Head-Fi'ers like myself who also enjoy listening to realistic reproduction as well. I think it would be really nice, and since this isn't an actual instrument-dedicated forum, we could avoid the usual snobbishness that goes along with that type of forum.

Sure, it's unnecessary, and certainly, there are other forums out there to discuss playing music, but I feel that this would be a unique community in which to discuss playing music.

Thoughts?

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 21
although i think its a good idea, but i voted no because i think it would be quite alienating, and not that many people would actually be active posters. a well managed thread would suffice, but that would never be possible.

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 21
How would it be alienating? I don't get it.

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 21
Sounds like a very good idea! Count me in, for this idea is no more alienating than the High-End Forum.
normal_smile .gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Because he can't yet figure out how he could legitimately make inane comments in it (i.e., he's not a musician so he can't use it to increase his post count).

I thinks it's a pretty good idea. I'd check in on it even though I'm not a musican.

You wouldn't be alienating anyone. It fits right in with the musical theme of the site. It doesn't "split" the membership of an already existing forum. I got no beef.

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cos people who do not play music will not know what others are talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because he can't yet figure out how he could legitimately make inane comments in it (i.e., he's not a musician so he can't use it to increase his post count).
I thinks it's a pretty good idea. I'd check in on it even though I'm not a musican.
You're not alienating anyone. It fits right in with musical theme of the site. It doesn't "split" the membership of an already existing forum. I got no beef.

oh, i can think of many ways to post comments on this hypothetical forum, and achieve what many of you think is my goal: to increase my post count indefinitely. but no, the alienating concept is quite obvious. as such a forum would focus on the technicalities, many people who have little or no knowledge or music making will be left out. that is not the reason i voted no though, its more the fact that there will be very little interest in it (or so i believe).

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 21
I voted no because you'd be creating a forum for only a certain subset of Head-Fiers (i.e. those who play instruments), making it somewhat exclusive. You can argue that the High End forum is exclusive, but ultimately it is about the gear that Head-Fi was created for.

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 21
I vote yes because the more I hang out here, the more I like it, and I'd love to talk about playing music with y'all. Of course, it would be one more forum that isn't gear-related, so I can understand if the busy people who run this site have better things to do than make it happen.

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 21
I voted yes because this is a site that wouldn't exist without music in the first place, and the entire reason we go through what we do is to get closer to the music.

What better way to learn more about music than from those that actually play it?

As someone majoring in piano performance at a conservatory, I would post all the time in a musicians forum.

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 21
I can't imagine how the exchange of information by musicians would make someone feel "left out". We're not choosing for the kickball team here.

Even as someone who barely knows how to play air drums, I'd be very interested in posts by musicians, amateur and pro.

As noted, there are always logistical issues, and I defer that to Admin!

Aug 17, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cos people who do not play music will not know what others are talking about.

That's never stopped anyone from posting to threads on the internet before!

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back