Musical Fidelity X-Can v8 for AKG K701 (currently own Heed Canamp)?
Sep 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently own a Heed Canamp and use AKG K701 headphones (probably still breaking in at 100 hour mark).

Can anyone describe in detail how different a presentation the Musical Fidelity X-Can v8 would provide vs. my current Heed Canamp?

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 4
I've never heard the Canamp, but I can describe my X-CANV8P's sound sig for you.

For one this amp is a hybrid design. The tubes buffer the sound and it's passed to the solid state output jacks. This way you get the tube warmth and solid state power.

- The V8P is a warm, musical, and detailed sounding amp. It has a weight to the sound that can make music sound more enjoyable and full. 

- I found the bass on it to be excellent with it's punch and extension, but lacking with the stock power plug. I recommend the Pinkie PSU here.

- Dynamics also lack when using the stock plug. With the Pinkie PSU the dynamics are pretty good and make the music more engaging.

- The soundstage is pretty big and the presentation is airy without being overly spacious.

- I found the treble to be well extended and somewhat sweet/soft, but this is not a bad thing. Having the treble like that makes this amp less tiresome on your ears.

- The midrange is fleshed out with good transparency and detail. Vocals really seem to come to life on this amp. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 4
What do you mean by the "pinkie PSU"? I would love to upgrade from the wall-wart that my X-CAN V8 came with, but I don't want to spend $500 for the one Music Fidelity was offering. Know any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks.

P.S. How is the "P" version different, if you know? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back