Music Streaming services

What music streaming service(s) do you use?

• Total voters
Jan 31, 2023 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Thomasr

500+ Head-Fier
Curious to know which streaming services are the favourites around here.

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 17
I pay for Spotify Premium, I get Apple Music through Verizon for free, and I recently added Qobuz to try. I'm using Soundiiz to sync playlists and songs from Spotify to the other two so I can A/B test. I think Qobuz sounds better the other 2 even on their CD quality tracks, but not sure I want to keep another subscription for that small difference. Qobuz's discovery and recommendations so far have been terrible, so it will likely get cancelled in the next couple of months.

Just my $.02

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 17
I've had Spotify subscription forever, but recently added Deezer to try their HQ setting. Now I'm conflicted as to which to cancel and which to keep. The Deezer app has a few shortcomings compared to Spotify IMO, and since I listen primarily via Bluetooth I'm not sure the the HQ sound is giving me much.

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 17
Spotify do get lots of crap, its not as bad people makes it to be. Still favourite I have tried has been Tidal. When truly testing gear out, I go for bought CDs and files.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 17

Might be of interest.

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Feb 18, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 17
Bump. I'm still interested in seeing who else is part of the Deezer clan.

Sep 8, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 17

Might be of interest in IPTV.

I released a single a couple of weeks ago and was surprised, not to say astonished, when I noticed how few streamings I had from the US compared to other world regions, the vast majority of the North American listeners having accessed the song via youtube. I was curious enough to ask my US friends how they had listened to my song: not ONE was a subscriber of Spotify, Amazon music, Apple music, Qobuz, Tidal… NADA. All youtube. So, just put of curiosity: if you’re from the US: do you or do you not use one of these streaming services? If not, why?

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 17
I pay for Spotify Premium, I get Apple Music through Verizon for free, and I recently added Qobuz to try. I'm using Soundiiz to sync playlists and songs from Spotify to the other two so I can A/B test. I think Qobuz sounds better the other 2 even on their CD quality tracks, but not sure I want to keep another subscription for that small difference. Qobuz's discovery and recommendations so far have been terrible, so it will likely get cancelled in the next couple of months.

Just my $.02
Add $15 to your $.02 for Roon and you've got your front end for Qobuz

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 17
Qobuz's discovery and recommendations so far have been terrible, so it will likely get cancelled in the next couple of months.

agree. terrible.

i had a qobuz subscription for a long time but often found myself listening to music i owned and rarely found new artists/music, so i cancelled. i was happy with the service, the app, the music selection and quality so could see myself re-subscribing at some point.

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 17
Spotify would actually be completely sufficient for me, I don't notice any relevant differences in the audio quality compared to Qobuz, for example, but unfortunately Spotify doesn't offer me the option of dividing my music library by genre, which is why I also use Qobuz.

Sep 24, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 17
I recently cancelled Spotify premium, mainly to rationalize my monthly expenses, so I'm solely on Deezer at this point.

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 17
As far as streaming all I can compare is Amazon HD with Quobuz/Roon and after going from the former to the latter I noticed a definite improvement - and I'm pretty sure its not confirmation bias because I bored my kids and my wife with it in blind testing and they unanimously agreed (mid fi gear).

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 17
So Deezer just added a "Discovery 2024" tile to my home page, containing a playlist of songs/artists that I should check out. I assume this is unique to each subscriber based on their previous listening habits.

I'm about 10-15 songs in at this point and I have a couple observations:
  1. SOLID! There's a few stinkers but there's all kinds of cool stuff I've never heard before that's got my toes tapping.
  2. If this thing is indeed based on my listening history then I clearly have some pretty eclectic tastes - Deezer is throwing a buffet of sounds at me here. I'm reminded of something I saw in The Onion once: https://www.theonion.com/desperate-pandora-employees-scrambling-to-find-song-are-1819571692

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 17
Tidal and Bandcamp for me, as these pay the most to the artists :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back