Music Streamer II line-up
Feb 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Has anyone used a Music Streamer II, II Plus or Pro USB DAC? These inexpensive DAC's have been getting rave reviews (the reviews below are for the $249 II model, not the newer offerings.) The reviewers claim they blow away anything in their price range and match up against offerings costing much more.

Here are some links (there are many other reviews online):
Stereophile: Home Page

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/s...reamer+_2.html
Thanks!

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 8
From avguide blog:
Greatest Bargain
Not just bargain of the year but one of the greatest audiophile bargains of all time, the HRT Music Streamer 2 is going to change the computer audio map forever. A 96kHz, 24 bit DAC with asynchronous USB input, the Streamer 2 goes spec for spec against excellent multi-thousand dollar DACs from Ayre, dCS and Wavelength… and does so at just $150! Its bigger brothers (Streamer 2 Plus and Streamer Pro) offer improved performance at slightly higher price points and the upcoming Streamer HD brings 192kHz sampling rates. Even on the briefest of auditions, it’s clear this really is a game-changer.

Alan Sircom’s Best of CES | AVguide

May 17, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 8
I've had the MS Pro for a little while now, and I think I'm finally going to sell my PS Audio DLIII, which has provided outstanding performance for me for a while now. I had the original Music Streamer+, and while it was pretty musical, I felt that it ultimately wasn't as transparent as the DLIII and lacked extension at both ends of the spectrum. This is not the case with the Streamer Pro. I feel that it is as clear a window into the music as the DLIII, while still being slightly more musical relative to the DLIII, which can at times sound slightly etched in comparison (although the differences are small - I really like the DLIII). The DLIII is slightly airier, in contrast to the slightly meatier, more mid-focused Streamer Pro sound.

I had some issues initially connecting the Streamer Pro to my computer - it would drop out when connected to my slightly older Lenovo T61, while performing just fine with my Thinkpad tablet from work. The issues with the older computer have largely gone away once I added a powered USB hub to the equation, but folks with older computers should probably be wary - these asynchronous DACs don't always play well with dated USB ports.

Another added bonus of the Streamer Pro is its relatively small form factor. I plan on combining the DAC with my TTVJ portable and (hypothetical) Livewire Trips to combine for a truly killer transportable / office rig.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Anyone have any experience with the new entry level Streamer II yet? 

I am debating whether to get the new Streamer II at $150 or the older version Streamer + at $200 (originally sold for $300 and has received nice reviews...).

Thanks.

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 8
you don't want to do that, the reviewers put the Music streamer II on par with the old Music streamer +. And your drop down in resolution I believe to 48khz vs 96khz. I like the MSII I have, for $150 its a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back