Music Similar to "Arch Enemy"?
Dec 7, 2006 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Xeo

Head-Fier
I recently heard a band called Arch Enemy. I listened to their album "wages of sin". I usually don't listen to this music but I guess it's called "death metal" or something like that. Anyway, I really LOVE the music in almost every one of their tracks but I HATE the vocals. The best way I can describe the vocals is a fusion between yelling and growling. I find the guitars and drums very musical and powerful, but the vocals just stand out like a sore thumb.

So, my point is, do any of you know similar style music with more "normal" vocals?

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 19
Amaran - Pristine in Bondage is the only Death Metal I know without growls.

I suppose I could suggest Madder Mortem - Desiderata as well, although it's not Death Metal.

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 19
Arch Enemy: Melodic Death Metal

Insomnium : In the hall of waiting, Above the weeping world
At the gate : Slaughter of the soul
In Flames: The Jester Race
Eternal Tears of sorrow : A virgin and a whore
Dispatched : Motherwar, Terrorizer
Falchion : Legacy Of Heathens (Folk/Melodic Death)

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 19
I'd say check out Nevermore for sure.

Also check out Symphony X's "The Odyssey"- not the same genre but I really think you'd like it- more progressive with some great arrangements yet retaining heaviness. Great stuff- check it out.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 19
I think about the name Sym X, you're faster. (Do you know that Sym X will release the new album in 2007, I can't wait ! 2007 will be an excited year with new Dream Theater, Opeth, Riverside albums)

High light Symphony X's albums:
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
The New Mythology Suite
The Odyssey

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 19
I would recommend Dragonforce or Blind Guardian if you like the guitars and stuff on arch enemy.

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 19
What is deathmetal without growls?
blink.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 19
Try Exodus, Eidolon, Firewind, Angra, Mystric Prophecy, and Primal Fear.

That type of music without the growling vocals is generally thrash metal... but thrash has more screaming and yelling and sometimes growling. Most metal has harsh vocals, mostly power and progressive metal don't have growling or screaming.

I can't stand Arch Enemy's vocals either... they suck
blink.gif
ruins the music for me, but I'm not as into thrash anymore.

AE is considered Melodeath except I think they sound more thrashy. Some other melodeath bands (with considerably better vocals, but also different sounding music) are Skyfire, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Mors Principium Est, and Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Dark Lunacy, Soilwork and Norther . there are plenty more but I forget all of them.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 19
Start liking growling. A lot of badass bands open up to you
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Start liking growling. A lot of badass bands open up to you
evil_smiley.gif

Agreed.Its not hard to adjust at all.I remember around 6 years ago when I first heard Suffocation, and its vocals and I thought "this is too far".Before this time I had only listened to nu-metal, and hard rock so the vocals were a shock.I kept coming back to it though out of curiosity and eventually I was pumping up the volume and thrashing around like a ******** and I haven't looked back since.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by darklegion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed.Its not hard to adjust at all.I remember around 6 years ago when I first heard Suffocation, and its vocals and I thought "this is too far".Before this time I had only listened to nu-metal, and hard rock so the vocals were a shock.I kept coming back to it though out of curiosity and eventually I was pumping up the volume and thrashing around like a ******** and I haven't looked back since.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had a similar experience. A new world opened up to me, and now I can enjoy all metal has to offer
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back