Music Manager for NAS
Nov 4, 2020 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Signal2Noise

Headphoneus Supremus
I’m looking for a good music manager than can work as a server on a NAS. The manager can then stream to various devices I have elsewhere in the house while having a good GUI I can access from an iPad or other mobile device. Would be great if said manager could allow metadata editing on the fly if ever needed.

Currently, when I want to listen to music I decide which end point I want to use then use the dedicated app for that endpoint. I’d like to use a single app for any and all endpoints.

I am aware of Roon Server and did use it as a trial for awhile. it is decent enough but price is a tad off-putting, especially their lifetime option. I would do yearly but then let’s say after two years there‘s nothing better/cheaper that comes along and I cave into a lifetime, that overall cost becomes greater.

I have Plex which is great for streaming video but it’s music component is very clunky to say the least.

I was looking at JRiver, Audirvana, Amarra, and some other ones but none have a specific server install option that I could find. I don’t want to rely on a computer to be on all the time just to access my library.

Are there good options out there or is Roon it?

My set up:
Synology DS1019+ (16 & 24-bit FLAC, MQA, approx. 2600 albums)
Cambridge CXN (v1)
Bluesound Node 2
SONOS Amp & Play units
Amazon Music HD
Spotify (kids)

TIA.

Nov 5, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 10
Nov 11, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 10
How could you go past roon? If roon isn't really your bag, Jriver runs well and is much cheaper. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=117300.0
I would go with JRiver if it had a server option as mentioned in my original post. Roon is expensive. But I did spring for a year until something better/cheaper comes along.

Aside from Roon I found using Asset UPnP and mConnect Pro a good option. Only issue is mConnect is kind of ugly in terms of UI.

Nov 11, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 10
I would go with JRiver if it had a server option as mentioned in my original post. Roon is expensive. But I did spring for a year until something better/cheaper comes along.

Aside from Roon I found using Asset UPnP and mConnect Pro a good option. Only issue is mConnect is kind of ugly in terms of UI.

JRiver does have a server option for NAS devices. They used to have a native Synology version but now you need to run it in docker... but it's still a server version... so what do you mean you wish they had a server version?? They do. The standard windows version of JRiver also runs as both server and client.

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 10
....so what do you mean you wish they had a server version?? They do. The standard windows version of JRiver also runs as both server and client.

I was not aware that could be done with JRiver. So install Docker on NAS and then install JRiver into Docker? Then JRiver can be ran remotely from NAS w/o a computer being on? I will definitely look into that!

Originally I was looking for a server-specific version of JRiver and there’s many a discussion on JRiver forums about the want for it. Looks like the JRiver folk have no plans yet for one so perhaps this docker method you speak of will do.

[Update]: After investigating JRiver with Docker I've come to the conclusion that it's a very inconvenient method to undertake. I need a tutorial! Lol.
Tks.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 10
A good UPnP server.
Have a look at https://minimserver.com/
I did look at minimserver. Downloaded trial same time I dl’d AssettUPnP. Minimserver scared me off reading the steps to configure it and then install separate components like minimwatch to get decent functionality with NAS. But I could be wrong as I am new to these 3rd party programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back