Music Industry to Abandon Mass Suits
Dec 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 9
it'll most likely will work, at least until the ISP's end up banning like half their customers, then wonder where the income went.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 9
I think they'll find the new strategy every bit as effective as the old one.

People downloading from a file sharing site is easy to recognize. But are they going to throttle *every* file transfer online? This will just push people to private networks. And it will do nothing to people who swap physical media.

More importantly, this will do absolutely nothing to increase sales. That's everything.

I'm just waiting for these clowns to kill their industry. Maybe then we can get a better distribution model and rational prices. I do my part by buying used, especially vinyl. This is 100% legal and it's the lack of income, not piracy per se, that hurts them. Anyone interested in seeing the industry go down should buy a turntable and stop giving them money. That is the legal, ethical and moral way to put them in the grave they deserve.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 9
As long as the ISPs don't actually ban their customers, I think it'll work. If I were a big downloader, I would definitely stop if I knew every ISP was just going to give me really slow service.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 9
I like it better than mass lawsuits. Effective? We'll find out I suppose. Although, not surprisingly, Uncle Erik makes a good point saying they will go to private networks. But it should still cut down piracy- and that is what they are aiming for. No one expects to just stop it completely.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 9
maybe they could talk some sense into the idiots what run Monster Cable.

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they'll find the new strategy every bit as effective as the old one.

People downloading from a file sharing site is easy to recognize. But are they going to throttle *every* file transfer online? This will just push people to private networks. And it will do nothing to people who swap physical media.

More importantly, this will do absolutely nothing to increase sales. That's everything.

I'm just waiting for these clowns to kill their industry. Maybe then we can get a better distribution model and rational prices. I do my part by buying used, especially vinyl. This is 100% legal and it's the lack of income, not piracy per se, that hurts them. Anyone interested in seeing the industry go down should buy a turntable and stop giving them money. That is the legal, ethical and moral way to put them in the grave they deserve.

Or go to the library.
That imo is the best way for cds.

The industry is making rediculous profits on digital media and unfortunately, people who dont know better feed into it so the industry feels no need to lower their prices. O well.

Dave

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 9
It's counterintuitive because the most people buy faster services to download. Now that option is no longer viable. It's wrong to assume that every download is a potential sale. Personally, I don't use 95% of things that I download. I do it because I feel I'm getting the most out of my bandwidth/service.

Dec 21, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 9
you just download a bunch of ****, then let it sit there, just because it makes you feel you're getting your money's worth? ..............have you seen a shrink lately?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back