Music Hall dac25.2 (tube, balanced, USB DAC)
Mar 21, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ejk1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I mean squeezebox. To my ears right now I think the dac in the Squeeze sounds more transparent. The music hall dac sounds congested and I think it might have to do with the tube output.

For how many hours have your DAC been runing?

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #19 of 122
any changes?

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #20 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any changes?

Yep , I think me likes this Dac. It is coming into its own . Less conjested ,bigger soundstage and detail. LOOKING GOOD.
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #21 of 122
That is good
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep us updated.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #23 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just by leaving the dac powered up overnight will not break it in, it needs to have a signal passing through it.

Oh I didn't know that. And there I was using my hair dryer on it all night long

Ran Squeezebox overnight at low level volume

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 122
Most comments are well meant, please refrain from using sarcasm.

Have you tried to compare USB vs coax/toslink?

Could you also take som pictures of the unit, all the pictures I have found are of poor resolution, will be much obliged. Internal shots as well, if that won't woid your warranty? Dont think so, since there is a tube inside.

Thanks,

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #26 of 122
The Music Hall CD-25 CD player has typically received stellar reviews. I purchased one several years ago and now use it as the source for a Cayin headphone amp. My other source is a DENON 3910. I think that for CD playback the Music Hall is every bit or better than the Denon. The Denon originally retailed for about $1500 and the Music Hall is about $600. I bought the Denon from an authorized Denon dealer for $599 when they changed models. I did have to send it back for repairs -- it had about 5-days left on the warranty and the Denon factory authorized center fixed it promptly. It is great for SACD and DVD-A.

Anyway, here is a link to Music Hall's web page. Like NAD and Cayin, I understand that Music Hall's equipment is designed in the U.S. or Europe or G.B. and produced in China. Even B&W is producing its new mid sized monitiors in China, and the new model is suppose to be the best of the smaller B&W's ever produced. I have read that if you e-mail Roy Hall, he will answer your questions promptly. I am considering the DAC 25 and I read an review last night that compared it to 3 other DACS including the Benchmark DAC. The reviewer kept the Music Hall. He wrote that it needed a day or more "break in" before it sounded right. While the EH6922 is considered a good tube (my Audio Research REF 1 takes 4 pairs and Jim McShane will only sell EH tubes for the Audio Research equipment), with the DAC only requiring one tube you could afford to roll until you drop. I may buy one and if I do I will post some impressions. Right now I am listening to my Ray Samuels XP-7 which I received Wednesday. The XP-7 is one impressive amp. It is blowing me mind.
beyersmile.png
very_evil_smiley.gif

.:: music hall audio :: about us

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #28 of 122
Apr 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #30 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I e-mailed Roy Hall -- president for life -- of Music Hall last night with a question about the XLR output on the DAC 25.5. I will post any replies received.

This morning, I received the following reply from Roy Hall. It does appear that the XLR output is not a true balanced out. I know that a number of folks on Head-Fi swear by balanced connections of various types. But I have had connection makers and audio engineers tell me that if the connection is under a meter then the balanced connection has not advantage over an RCA.

Comments?

HTML Code:

Code:
[left]Hi, Thanks for the kind words.. As far as I know, it is a single ended out put that has been adapted to an XLR. Best regards Roy Hall[/left]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back