Music for Newborns?
Jul 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 14
The Tiny Tot Players tribute to Pink Floyd!!!

extracts here clicky

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 14
My son was exposed to all sorts from Pink Floyd to Gomez to The Clash. He loved 'Should I Stay or Should I Go'. Sadly it has been to no avail as he now prefers Lady Gaga
eek.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
My son was exposed to all sorts from Pink Floyd to Gomez to The Clash. He loved 'Should I Stay or Should I Go'. Sadly it has been to no avail as he now prefers Lady Gaga
eek.gif

Wow...His name is alejandro? 
wink.gif

To the op, try this. Congrats on your baby. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 14
My baby is 9 now! How time flies.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 14
Raymond Scott- Soothing Sounds for Baby

A whole album of baby music from one of the pioneers of electronic music.

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 14
I remember my newborn brother was exposed to healthy doses of Metallica, GN'R and stuff. He's adult now, and still likes it.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 14
Congrats on the baby! All my best to you and your family. :)

I haven't produced offspring yet, but if I did, I'd set up a cheap speaker system and send in plenty of classical and jazz. The soothing stuff, like Beethoven's Sixth, "Kind of Blue" and "Waltz for Debby," and the mellow 20th century composers like Sibelius and Part. I'd also play some Leo Kottke and laid-back bluegrass, too. You know, I'd put some Galaxy 500 in there too, because they're so peaceful.

I have no idea if that would take root with an infant, but I'd like to think it would. After a couple years, I'd put the Beatles, Beach Boys and the Elephant 6 collective into the mix.

It would be nice to groom a kid to take over the music collection and audio gear. :) Though I'd leave out the Captain Beefheart, the Residents, Sun Ra, and Eric Dolphy for a few years. :D

Oh, and I'd start throwing inexpensive musical instruments at the kid around four. Recorders, drums, toy xylophones, ukulele, etc. and start in on real instruments by six or seven. Along with learning how to read and do basic math, kids must learn how to read music and play an instrument early on. There are so many benefits. The least of which would be a deep appreciation of music.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks guys,
I really hope he can appreciate Classical and Jazz better than I do
smile.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 14
The classical and jazz might sink in with you, too. :)

I didn't like jazz until a few years ago. Then I got a tubed FM receiver. It happened that the local jazz station had great reception, so I listened to it at night. Somehow, that reprogrammed some neural pathways and I started to love jazz. Exploring it has been a thrill. I hope the same happens to you. :)

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #13 of 14
Babys and toddlers are pretty adaptable and will listen to most anything.  Just make sure the music doesn't have sudden spikes in volume as that can cause distress.  Use your common sense and your kids and you will be fine.

My 2yo selected Miles Davis' Bitches Brew last night before bed; he dances like crazy to it. It helps a lot if you give kids some power, I think it makes them feel valued.  I'm doing what I can to teach my kids a broad appreciation of music without forcing anything.  It's a fine line and a fun challenge.  My 15 yo told me a while back that he likes that I listen to all types of music.  I got a major kick out of that.

Good luck and best wishes to your young family.

Btw there are a few old threads here on music for kids (and Christmas music!) worth searching out.

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Raymond Scott- Soothing Sounds for Baby

A whole album of baby music from one of the pioneers of electronic music.

Great music and excellent for even adults to relax by especially if you grew up in the 1960s/70s watching Italian sci-fi doomsday movies with all their mix of inspiring and creepy moog music. Here is a track from this 1963 album on YouTube entitled..Lullaby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPaMxJ2FBYI&feature=related 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back