Music Composition Software?
Jun 22, 2007 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nibiyabi

Headphoneus Supremus
My girlfriend is looking to get music composition software for her dad. She doesn't really have a budget, so fire away with the best cost-no-object software along with some good stuff that has price in mind. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 6
Depends on what the application is for. There used to be a big gap between MIDI sequencers and digital samplers but nowadays you can't find a single app that doesn't integrate them. Some apps are still geared towards one or the other though, and the aforementioned Sibelius is particularly great at the sequencer aspect. Sequencers are also typically much easier to learn because they have a simpler UI, and ultra-easy to learn & use for those who are already musically trained.
wink.gif

The thing with composition apps today though is that they're really demanding on computers - not as much as graphics apps of course, but processing all those audio bytes takes a lot of CPU work. ASIO support will also be essential, on the OS, software, and hardware fronts.

That said, there are lots of great apps out there, and they all take a different approach. There's Reason, which works more as a sampler and the UI is literally a virtual equipment rack. Really unique, I use it myself (although an older version). Steep learning curve though. Reason is $500. Cakewalk's Sonar is another great app, it's geared more as a sequencer with sampler features added on (it has been around since the dark days of MIDI). Nice intuitive UI, should be easy to pick up. Tons of features and it's obvious it was designed with professional composers in mind. Sonar Producer is $619 but the Studio is $400. And Steinberg's CUBASE too, that app has been around a really long time. I've never tried it but that one is another industry standard. The highest-end version of CUBASE is $1K, but if that's too high the Studio edition is $500.

Both Cakewalk and Steinberg offer cheaper alternatives if even $400 or $500 is too expensive btw.
wink.gif

Those three are among the best apps in the industry for composition, can't go wrong with any one of them. The decision should be based primarily on features and the application though.

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 6
Sequencers? I was thinking more along the lines of Sibelius and Finale. OP might want to specify.

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on what the application is for. There used to be a big gap between MIDI sequencers and digital samplers but nowadays you can't find a single app that doesn't integrate them. Some apps are still geared towards one or the other though, and the aforementioned Sibelius is particularly great at the sequencer aspect. Sequencers are also typically much easier to learn because they have a simpler UI, and ultra-easy to learn & use for those who are already musically trained.
wink.gif

The thing with composition apps today though is that they're really demanding on computers - not as much as graphics apps of course, but processing all those audio bytes takes a lot of CPU work. ASIO support will also be essential, on the OS, software, and hardware fronts.

That said, there are lots of great apps out there, and they all take a different approach. There's Reason, which works more as a sampler and the UI is literally a virtual equipment rack. Really unique, I use it myself (although an older version). Steep learning curve though. Reason is $500. Cakewalk's Sonar is another great app, it's geared more as a sequencer with sampler features added on (it has been around since the dark days of MIDI). Nice intuitive UI, should be easy to pick up. Tons of features and it's obvious it was designed with professional composers in mind. Sonar Producer is $619 but the Studio is $400. And Steinberg's CUBASE too, that app has been around a really long time. I've never tried it but that one is another industry standard. The highest-end version of CUBASE is $1K, but if that's too high the Studio edition is $500.

Both Cakewalk and Steinberg offer cheaper alternatives if even $400 or $500 is too expensive btw.
wink.gif

Those three are among the best apps in the industry for composition, can't go wrong with any one of them. The decision should be based primarily on features and the application though.

Wow. Way more info than I had anticipated.
biggrin.gif
I'll be sure to direct her to this thread -- thanks Asr and everyone else too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back